PDA

View Full Version : Crappy gas mileage

TJ89Accord
02-03-2003, 10:04 PM
Well, the last two times that i filled my car up with gas i set the trip odometer. Well, the first time I went like 230 miles in one tank. Filled it up with about 12 gallons gas back to the top. set the trip again. about the same, 230 miles. and again, about 11-12 gallons of gas to fill it. This means that I'm gettin about 19mpg. I know that that can't be right. I have an 89 LX auto, with 100,000 miles on it. I don't drive full throttle and I do a lot of highway driving too. The car seems to run fine too. It idles high, when I first start it up when its cold, but thats normal right? As soon as it warms up it idles about 800-1000 RPMs. I'm gonna give it a tune up pretty soon. Maybe the fuel filter or something? Any help would be good.

thanks

tim

Jareds 89 LX-i
02-03-2003, 10:10 PM
That is pretty low! I filled up tonight with 337 miles and 11.6 gallons (29.xx mpg). It's been perfectly consistent with the exception of one 32.xx mpg, for quite awile.

A tune up will always help some. Change all filters (fuel and remember theres 2 of them, air filter, PCV valve, etc) Also make sure the brakes aren't dragging (frozen calipers, parking brake, etc). Carb may need adjustment too, or an oxygen sensor.

AZmike
02-03-2003, 11:53 PM
First check tire pressure. You should be at 26 psi min. A little extra wouldn't hurt if you don't mind the slightly harsher ride. Your fuel filters will not affect your mileage, if they're bad your pump is just working harder than it need to be (tiny power loss). PCV valve won't affect mileage either. Of course if you've never changed out these parts it's not a bad idea, but don't expect to be getting 35 mpg when you're done. Like Jarded said, a general tune-up is likely to help somewhat.

Cold oil is much larger drag on the engine than warm oil is. Making mostly short trips in the winter really hurts your mileage even if your car is working perfectly.

Grant2k
02-04-2003, 09:26 AM
i got 200 to half a tank recently. our tanks are 16 gallon right? i keep forgetting to check the owner's manual. if it is that means i'm getting about 25mpg which isn't terrible considering what the inside of my carb must be like. so what i really was wondering was what size our gas tanks are.

87accordlxph
02-04-2003, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by Grant2k
i got 200 to half a tank recently. our tanks are 16 gallon right? i keep forgetting to check the owner's manual. if it is that means i'm getting about 25mpg which isn't terrible considering what the inside of my carb must be like. so what i really was wondering was what size our gas tanks are.

60L or 15.9 US GAL.

So your right on that.

-Mike

RCracer
02-04-2003, 03:00 PM
I used to get 250-270 miles per tankfull with my carbed A20a auto

I now get 175-190 miles per tankfull with my B20a 5 speed:( :(

The extra power is nice but it has made it a little thirsty.

Things could be worse my AERODECK has just passed its yearly inspection (including emmisions) without any problems.:smokin: :smokin: :smokin:

TJ89Accord
02-04-2003, 07:12 PM
hmmm. Well, when it is on empty, it takes like 11-12 gallons to fill it, so i guess its not really empty. lol. I haven't seen the gas light come on yet, i just figured that it didn't work. but still, i filled the car up, then drove 230 miles, and filled it to the top again, it took about 12 gallons. Which is like 19mpg right? I noticed that my tires are low, but would that make that much of a difference? Ill fill em all to the right pressure tomorrow.

thanks

tim

Sean
02-04-2003, 07:46 PM
tire pressure can have a hug effect on performance and fuel economy. having ne tire underinflated by 10% can cut fuel effiency by 20% so that something to sleep on.

TJ89Accord
02-04-2003, 07:47 PM
ok, im gonna fill em tomorrow. Thanks. Hopefully that will help out.

tim

Grant2k
02-04-2003, 09:13 PM
our cars have a gas light?

montreal
02-08-2003, 02:07 PM
My car goes shake, rattle 'n stall. It takes forver to warm up (carbureted, of course) and even when it does it still stalls. It's automatic too.

I haven't really owned my 88 Accord long enough to notice anything consistent, but it does run like cr@p. I'm in the process of giving it a tune-up (can't seem to get a cap & rotor that fit). Hopefully this, along with a bottle of fuel system treatment and high octane clean burning gas will help.

BTW, I hear we can change the primary fuel filter by removing the left rear wheel to make access easier. Is this true? Sure would be easier than raising the whole back end!

TJ89Accord
02-08-2003, 08:31 PM
I put air in my tires. They were all at about 25 PSI. I filled em all to about 35 PSI. Hopefully that will help. Gas is gettin expensive...

tim

Grant2k
02-09-2003, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by montreal
My car goes shake, rattle 'n stall. It takes forver to warm up (carbureted, of course) and even when it does it still stalls. It's automatic too.

I haven't really owned my 88 Accord long enough to notice anything consistent, but it does run like cr@p. I'm in the process of giving it a tune-up (can't seem to get a cap & rotor that fit). Hopefully this, along with a bottle of fuel system treatment and high octane clean burning gas will help.

BTW, I hear we can change the primary fuel filter by removing the left rear wheel to make access easier. Is this true? Sure would be easier than raising the whole back end!
taking the wheel off helps but it can be done without it (but it's a pain in the ass). either way you have to jack the car up.

montreal
02-10-2003, 04:12 PM
Thanks Grant, I think I'll try taking off the left rear wheel. It might be easier in my case - I've only got the jack that came with the car, no floor jack or anything. To raise the back of the car I could use my steel ramps, but if the car still idles rough after I finish my tune-up I don't want to risk it. The ability to inch forward on a ramp with precision may be tough and I don't want to drive off the ramps.

In any case, what a dumb place to put a fuel filter! Grrrrrr!!!!

89accordboi
02-13-2003, 01:37 PM
i get around 120-150 miles on a full tank, carb manual, i drive fast tho :D