PDA

View Full Version : Battery Drain

mindlos
02-04-2003, 02:32 PM
Alright. I have a battery drain via the wiper and washer fuse line. Wipers work ok but washer fluid no worky. I disconnected the harness at the washer pump and still there is a drain. I'm thinking its the washer relay busted. Question is do relays short out and continue to draw power in a current limited fashion, i.e. no blow my fuse kinda short?

mindlos
02-04-2003, 02:45 PM
Okay, been checker website and napaonline and I dont see a washer relay. There is a wiper pulse one. So now the real question is after the car is on and the ignition relay is giving power to the vital parts, is it just a mechanical/contact switch that get the pump going or what? God damn, I was ready to buy a part. I dont wanna trace wires to the ass end of nowwhere :mad:

cruznz
02-04-2003, 11:53 PM
internals of wiper motor may be playing up or switch do some voltage checks

88LXi/87CRXSi
02-05-2003, 05:08 PM
By a battery drain, do you mean that when you turn the key on, even with washer/wipers off, current is flowing thru fuse #3? Do you have power windows? Sunroof? The reason I'm asking is that both of those draw current thru fuse #3 and energize relays, as soon as the key is turned on. That might explain the drain you see, and is normal, if it's not excessive! As far as your washers are concerned, you might try to run 12v right to the pump or check the motor windings with a multimeter, if you have one. Could also check to see if you have 12v at the connecter u disconnected, when the switch is turned on.

-Steve

mindlos
02-05-2003, 11:50 PM
Okay, I hadnt done enough troubleshooting back then. Just to take it from the top: After work I noticed a very very slow crank. Kinda made my ass wet but it started. Thought maybe the battery is biting the dust from all the sudden cold. Next morning (tues) battery was so low it turned over once. Oh shit. Tried again and it turned enough to start. I go to the parts store at lunch and they tested the battery and alt. All good so I go to work and grab a multimeter. I was seeing a voltage drop on the battery 0.03-.04V per minute. Give it enough time and the battery is almost dead. And this is with the ignition off. When I pulled that #3 fuse the voltage held. The reason I tried that is because I just noticed the washer pump was no longer working. Thanks for pointing out that there are other thing on that fuse because that cheat sheet on the back of the compartment doesnt list em all. Now this may not have been my problem as I stated because I was walking around the front of my car and I heard some jacob's ladder kind of static from underneath. I trace it to the passenger horn and as soon as I touch it the allmost inexistent (melted or brittle) connector falls apart and the sound is gone. There must have been something gone bad there. Now I have no horn. I put back the #3 fuse to see if I will have problems and I will troubleshoot AFRESH over the weekend. I hadnt tested anything anyway. Too much slush and cold.

Say, can I use my alarm siren as a horn now that I dont have one?:D

mindlos
02-06-2003, 04:48 PM
I wasnt hallucinating. The reason the pump was not working and the drain was some salt got on the pump connector and mixed with water thats a recipe for a short. And that semifrozen slush keeps it there. An the washer fluid pump is still good so I'm happy about that. I guess I'll go to the junker for a horn and a new harness for it. I wish I could use the alarm horn without the alarm sound of course, otherwise I'll confuse some people on the highway.