PDA

View Full Version : MY 89 LXI from South Carolina!

JJ'sAccord
01-20-2017, 07:41 AM
Hello,
Ive been on and off this site for years but just recently decided to sign up. long time coming i guess. I would like to show off my LXI who has been by far the most reliable car i have ever owned. bought this beauty for 1200 back in 2010 car was in pretty rough shape mechanically wise but the body was perfect and interior was in really good shape no rips crack tears nothing missing. ( other than all of the emblems on the trunk lid)

i have done alot of work to this car and it has all paid off ten fold!

tof
01-21-2017, 03:09 PM
I, for one, would enjoy more pics and some info on what mechanical issues you had to address to make it so reliable.

JJ'sAccord
01-22-2017, 05:06 AM
I, for one, would enjoy more pics and some info on what mechanical issues you had to address to make it so reliable.
i will upload more pics for you guys.
where do i start on the mechanical things ive fixed/ replaced.
1. replaced clutch within 5k miles after buying(pulled the motor to do it)
2. did tune up (normal plugs wires rotor cap, flushed oil and cooling system filled and bled)
3. was having weird idle surges took me almost a year to find out it was fast idle air valve giving me a fit. (replaced IACV twice before i watched a random link on youtube explaining problem.) replaced FIAV.
4. radiator was rusted pretty bad. replaced that along with FIAV.
5. car wouldnt start one day but would allow me to push start it. (starter signal wire had a cut in it somewhere) bypassed wire with pushbutton start
6.injectors were leaking at the o-rings to i pulled them off cleaned them and checked functionally of them and replaced o-rings.
7.the car seemed to have been struck by lightning? distributor, ignition coil, wires, and new plugs.
8. replaced timing belt and oil pump at about 160k miles
9. replaced valve cover gasket
10. replaced water pump
11. tried to get around replacing heater core so i worked really hard getting the cooling system trash and debris free. but in the process i lost alot of my older cooling fittings to leaks at the seam welds. this led me to spring a massive leak in my inlet water pipe. replaced the inlet water pipe.
12. replaced alternator(believe it or not it was the stock alternator haha) this was a big pain in the ass.
13. replaced ignition switch after key would not hold run positon unles i kept the key physically turned to crank position.
14. finally got tired of no heat. replaced heater core
15. blower stopped working so i overhauled blower system. new motor resistor and selector switch.
16. just recently decided to add p.s back in after old rack and pinion was shot. (what a job that was by my self). replaced rack and inline filter
17. did the entire front suspension minus bushings(have yet to decide what i want yet) and lower ball joints. (no impact gun to get axel nut off.)
19 adjusted valves due to intense ticking.
20. replaced oil pump again due to failure(gotta love lifetime warranty parts lol)
21. replaced Throttle position sensor.
22.ahh most importantly fuel filter. the one under the hood not in the back. (soon i will do that as well)

for now that is it. to be honest the car has never had to be towed (EVER) and i did alot of this stuff as preventive maint. to avoid breakdowns later on. so far its worked in my favor. there might be a couple extra things im missing from the list.

By far the best and most reliable car i've ever seen. I drove it without oil. i drove it with too much oil. still never died just kept trucking. even lost 2 cylinders once and still drove (pretty rough but hey i made it home with no major damage)
50k miles ive put on this LXI since ive owned it and i have to say its been an awesome car. i even let it sit 2 years while i was in college. changed battery and oil and plugs. cranked right up and ive been using it as my daily driver ever since.

tof
01-22-2017, 10:30 AM
Very cool. Lot of work but that's half the fun...as long as there are beer breaks.

JJ'sAccord
01-22-2017, 12:12 PM
Very cool. Lot of work but that's half the fun...as long as there are beer breaks.

yea there has to be breaks for beer and cigs. haha too bad i dont have many 3g owners close enough to give me a hand when i need one haha

I would even fund the beer!

perks of living in the sticks i guess

rushell
01-22-2017, 05:04 PM
where do u live in sc im from augusta ga

doug chaney
01-22-2017, 09:02 PM
Rewarding when a job is well done, huh?

lpstandridge
01-24-2017, 09:06 AM
You gentlemen seem to have your stuff well together regarding the '89 LXi Honda Accord. I enjoy your prose. I have a sticky wicket regarding my '89 four door LXi and the removal of the radio. After following several on-line offerings, other than this forum, I have successfully exposed the radio chassis & its retaining cage; however, I am missing the 'final trick' that will release the unseen "hold" the cage has on the radio. I will be most appreciative of your knowledge on this matter. Best regards... lpstandridge

rushell
01-24-2017, 03:49 PM
where r u from in central fla i went to high school in lake wales polk county

JJ'sAccord
01-24-2017, 05:47 PM
You gentlemen seem to have your stuff well together regarding the '89 LXi Honda Accord. I enjoy your prose. I have a sticky wicket regarding my '89 four door LXi and the removal of the radio. After following several on-line offerings, other than this forum, I have successfully exposed the radio chassis & its retaining cage; however, I am missing the 'final trick' that will release the unseen "hold" the cage has on the radio. I will be most appreciative of your knowledge on this matter. Best regards... lpstandridge

There are two screws in the back that hold it on the the braket. Trust me i just did this and it was a pain in the ass

JJ'sAccord
01-24-2017, 05:52 PM
Rewarding when a job is well done, huh?
Yea it is man and i have a brand new car pretty much when i add paint and a set of wheels

Im from greenville sc.

I forgot about the stereo replacement that was a pain wow... id rather pull motor haha the two phillips head screws in the back when theres no damn room for a decent screw driver to fit is beyond me

Dr_Snooz
01-28-2017, 07:19 PM
Stubby screwdriver should work, right? It's been awhile since I did mine.

JJ'sAccord
01-29-2017, 07:35 AM
Stubby screwdriver should work, right? It's been awhile since I did mine.

yup stubby screw driver works great. i did have to remove the control box on the bottom to give me more room. by the way the manual told me to remove the rubber gaurd on the connector or radio but i did not have to i just pressed in the connector and popped it off with the rubber gaurd still on. i guess i got lucky because that looked like a pain to try to remove due to it being electrical taped on the back side to the harness.

Dr_Snooz
02-01-2017, 07:57 PM
That would be one of those repairs where if you didn't have a stubby, it would be reason enough to buy one.

lpstandridge
02-04-2017, 04:42 PM
JJ... your post has help me in that it has attracted at least four fellows who know the 'trick' for the final release of the stereo equipment from its cage. Yes, I did have the proper super stubby philips #2 driver; however, what I did not have was the tiny little dentists mirror with the articulating arm that enabled me to cast my eyes on the final devilish part of the task. That job was designed by Plastic Man. Boo !! Thanks to all for your input.
L. Pierce Standridge
Central Florida
Greater Goldenrod area

JJ'sAccord
02-05-2017, 10:00 AM
JJ... your post has help me in that it has attracted at least four fellows who know the 'trick' for the final release of the stereo equipment from its cage. Yes, I did have the proper super stubby philips #2 driver; however, what I did not have was the tiny little dentists mirror with the articulating arm that enabled me to cast my eyes on the final devilish part of the task. That job was designed by Plastic Man. Boo !! Thanks to all for your input.
L. Pierce Standridge
Central Florida
Greater Goldenrod area

hey congrats brother, the way my stock stereo was held in was ridiculous i removed that lower control box and bracket just to be able to even feel those two tiny screws. did it all blind. that was a hell of a job and i am glad you could achieve success Mr. Standridge

if you ever need any help you can either message me on here or look up the 3geez.com FB page alot of people are active on there if you need quick advice! goodluck and again thanks for giving us feedback. not enough people do that these days.