PDA

View Full Version : Head Gasket (Requesting Tips & Tricks) 86 Accord LXi

Trent Von
01-21-2017, 07:51 AM
Head gasket replacement
> 1986 Accord LXi

My question is..... what is the best method and/or tips and tricks to get this job done quickly? What are the common mistakes to avoid while digging in?

Also, should I remove the head with or without the intake attached? Access in and around the intake manifold seems to be a bit more roomy with the fuel injected models than the carbureted model. How is the best and easiest way to attack this?

I just wanna tap into the minds of experience….

Tdurr
01-30-2017, 02:02 AM
Zip tie & mark ur cam gear/timing belt. And leave the intake manifold on.

I could do a hg on my car(m8nus the surface cleaning in like 3.5 hrs tops. & that's a slow drinking beer pace.

InAccordance
01-30-2017, 12:56 PM
Make sure your set at top dead center like Tdurr said.
I personally take the intake off just because it makes it a bit unwieldy when putting things back together and trying to to jostle the gasket.
At least probably a good idea if it's your first time. Plus you can leave the fuel lines intact and be able to remove the head to inspect and clean better.
Downside is you need a new intake gasket.
Make sure the exhaust is loose too. With the studs this engine has and the manifold bolting to the block, makes it a bit rough to get the head back on without sliding the new gasket a bit.
Other than that, only other thing is to make sure your alternating head bolts when you go to loosen and tighten. Start at one corner, then go to the opposite corner and swap around like that. Helps keep things nice and straight and even pressure.

Dr_Snooz
02-01-2017, 07:35 PM
Other than that, only other thing is to make sure your alternating head bolts when you go to loosen and tighten. Start at one corner, then go to the opposite corner and swap around like that. Helps keep things nice and straight and even pressure.

There's a torque sequence in the manual.