PDA

View Full Version : how are audiobahn subs?

NOAHS88accord
02-04-2003, 06:17 PM
I was lookin on the net at subs and i found some audiobahn 10" subs in a bandpass box on ebay heres the link- http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3005742479&category=3291 are these good subs? anybody read or got a review on them?

NOah

NOAHS88accord
02-04-2003, 06:19 PM
what about kicker comp 10's are they any good? i found them on ebay for a pair its 118.00 is that too much?

heres the link- http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3005690438&category=3291

i want hard hittin bass without distortion and i want some 10s not 12s or 15s i want 10s so dont recommend anything besides 10s please thanks

NOah

dXsquared
02-04-2003, 06:24 PM
you dont like my offer? well... you can get the COMP's for 79.99 not the VR's but they do kick good... and the loaded box is not to great cuz shipping will kill you! i guess you dont have much in Alaska, maybe it will be good...

i can build a box... i am pretty good at it... get the subs of your choice and i can build one up and ship it for 75 bucks... carpeted for 100... and its custom to the subs as well...using WinISD

Travis

NOAHS88accord
02-04-2003, 06:51 PM
I plan on building my own custom box out of marine styrofoam and fiberglass with my dads help, he builds fiberglass commercial fishing boats so he is pretty good at it, i am willing to pay up to 250 for two 10" subs that hit hard

StUpiD8000
02-04-2003, 07:15 PM
go take a look at www.thezeb.com

AccordEpicenter
02-05-2003, 09:21 PM
The bahns are ok, pretty loud but if youre looking for SQ youll prolly be dissapointed. I think youd be happier with the Kicker comps, preferably VRs, theyre built better and are nearly as loud.

MrBen
02-07-2003, 09:23 PM
Build me a 12 inch box for one sub for 60 and we'll talk.

smufguy
02-08-2003, 06:38 PM
Audiobahn is one of those product that u need to spend a little more cash to get the better sounding ones. The competition series that is. Ever wonder why in autoshows u see Audis and BMWs with Audiobahn subs and amps? well thats why.

Ben take a look at this (http://www.millionbuy.com/hbx12sqb.html) . Still not convinced? how about this one (http://www.millionbuy.com/hbx12ej.html)

You see its not the price of the box that actually matters. its the volume and the material that surrounds it matters. The boxes on the website might not be suitable for ur subs due to the sub dimensions. Go to circuit city or what not and chck out the handouts and see if u can build a sturdy one. i would say that with proper tools, u would still be making a profit.

AccordEpicenter
02-11-2003, 09:20 PM
For the money youd pay for the nice nice Audiobahn stuff i think you could do better. High end Audiobahn subs arent bad, especially if youre going for SPL, but theyre overrated and cost alot. I hate their amps tho...

n88accordLX-i
02-11-2003, 09:33 PM
Wow those boxes suck, but anyways, audiobahn is a bang for the buck brand, they wernt exactly made to perform and last.

smufguy
02-12-2003, 08:31 AM
jetta dude, ur right on the money. U got what i am talking about. You can make the shittiest box for 30 bucks and have it sound like crap even with the best subs. This is why you need to go to the car audio stores like best buy or circuitcity and look at the handouts or phamplets or whatever u wish to call it, and look at the dimensions of the box and the angle it is. I am sure that if u ar a DIY kinda guy, go for it. Have materials and info in hand and build a really nice box.

n88accordLX-i
02-12-2003, 01:14 PM
I never go with recommended specs, most the boxes they recommend are designed to be small to fit into most cars, but i design mine to be loud and play low with a little help of a program called WINISD.

smufguy
02-12-2003, 07:30 PM
hmmmm..... maybe u could post a HOW_To on the box dimensions for most of the subs used here by our members. that would be a great help. Wanna do it?

AccordEpicenter
02-12-2003, 07:42 PM
everybody i talked to says Audiobahn specs are wrong anyways

n88accordLX-i
02-12-2003, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by smufguy
hmmmm..... maybe u could post a HOW_To on the box dimensions for most of the subs used here by our members. that would be a great help. Wanna do it?

thats kinda hard, because it depends on the sound you want, the music you like, if you want it loud, if you want it to sound good, the amount of room you have, ect... :huh:

87DXHatch
02-12-2003, 08:31 PM
you simply CAN'T have a how-to that covers EVERY sub... there are some general rules though:
1) the bigger the box (sealed) the "tighter" the response will be (up to a certain point) but the lower the power handling of the sub.

2) the smaller the box the "Peaky"er the bass and the louder it will be. Smaller boxes tend to make a lot of subs sound "boomy" and sloppy.

BUT NEITHER OF THESE APPLY TO EVERY SUB!!! SOME SUBS WILL SOUND LIKE CRAP IN HUGE BOXES, AND SOME WILL SOUND AMAZING IN TINY BOXES!! ...I just strained my vocal chords...

What I've done for people is if they just ask me to model a sub up for them in winISD... I ask them if they want SPL or SQ and then I'll model up the sub for them and give them a few box size options...

I modeled up an Audiobahn for somebody, and for a decent SQ system, sealed, it needed like a 4ft^3 box.... ridiculous.

n88accordLX-i
02-12-2003, 08:38 PM
Actually you have it backwards, a bigger sealed box will be boomy and play lower, a small sealed box will have more power handling, but will struggle with the lows.

AccordEpicenter
02-12-2003, 10:21 PM
Exactly. I heard a setup with 2 Audiobahn AW-1500xs in their small sealed box (like 1.7 cu foot or so) and it was tight as could be and loud as hell, loudest ive ever heard for 15s in a small sealed, but the thing would have trouble playing under 36hz or so, it just didnt sound right.

86hatchbackLXi
02-13-2003, 09:25 PM
i have an audiobahn 12, and i love it but maybe thats beacuse i got it for a very good price. lots of my friends have said they love the sound it makes. most audiobahn subs have a huge surround which allows for a lot of excursion, somehitng rarely found on other subs. but i would recommend buying an audiobahn and if you dont like it, sell it and get something else. but in my hatch the audiobahn sounds amazing

Swan
03-15-2003, 10:03 PM
ok..this is what I want to go for....I want a box housing a 15 inch sub built to take the basic shape of the spare tire well in my 89 LXi sedan! then I want a sub who's volume range for sealed AND ported applications cross...like, I think the kicker L7's, their ported volume is like, 3-6 cu.ft..... and the sealed, is like 1.5-6 cu.ft.... so I would need a box anywhere between 3 and 6 cu.ft...and the port, I want to go up from the box, and into the area behind the back seat armrest, so all I have to do to switch between ported and sealed, is flip the armrest down..... can anyone help me out? as in, building AND giving advice on a sub that will vibrate my teeth outta my head, and sound reallly nice and low....