PDA

View Full Version : Manual rack and pinion.

InAccordance
01-28-2017, 09:26 PM
Just curious if anyone has done a manual rack and pinion conversion..?

This old hydraulic setup is a pain in the ass once it gets some years on it. I fix one leak and another springs up somewhere else..

I've had 3 1st gen CRXs before and those were manual steering and did well with it. Granted they were a smaller vehicle..
Just curious if anyone has done it before...

cygnus x-1
01-29-2017, 11:08 AM
I'm not sure if Honda ever made a manual steering rack for the 3g. If they did it wasn't sold in the US.

Otherwise it is possible to use a power steering rack without the power assist. The basic procedure is to disconnect the hydraulic lines, drain the fluid, take the guts out of the valve body on the rack, reassemble and plug the port holes. It's a messy and annoying job but can be done. The steering will be fairly stiff when the car isn't moving, but when it is moving it's just fine.

C|

InAccordance
01-30-2017, 12:44 PM
They didn't.
I was more curious if anyone had done something with an aftermarket rack.
I've driven a vehicle that had PS go out, so yea it is indeed a pita when sitting still.

Thanks for the info though :cheers:

Brooksaaron
02-02-2017, 04:59 PM
Can this be done with the rack still installed? Or would you need to remove the rack? My rack is going bad & I'm not about to put another one in it (it's on it's third)

DBMaster
02-07-2017, 09:20 AM
I'll chime in with a reference to posts from a LONG time ago. There was a group buy done at least a decade ago of manual racks from Canada. Apparently, manual steering was available on 3G's made for the Canadian market. IIRC you might be able to order a rebuilt unit from a Canadian parts supplier. FWIW

Brooksaaron
02-07-2017, 09:56 AM
I'll chime in with a reference to posts from a LONG time ago. There was a group buy done at least a decade ago of manual racks from Canada. Apparently, manual steering was available on 3G's made for the Canadian market. IIRC you might be able to order a rebuilt unit from a Canadian parts supplier. FWIW
Might be worth looking into, thanks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

88LXi68
02-17-2017, 07:46 AM
I think I am one of the last few on this board that has done the manual rack conversion. As stated above, it is was only available in Canada on the 'S' trim level hatchback. In order to do the conversion, you will need a manual rack pinion AND the rear crossmember that holds the rack. A crossmember from a power steering rack will not work and that's why this swap hasn't been done more. In terms of the manual rack's performance, the feel of connection between the road, the tires, and the steering wheel is fantastic. No artificial feeling while driving obviously low maintenance. However, it is not great performance wise for autocross or track day events. It's just too slow and your constantly turning as the ratios are just not geared for performance in mind.

Brooksaaron
02-17-2017, 07:48 AM
I think I am one of the last few on this board that has done the manual rack conversion. As stated above, it is was only available in Canada on the 'S' trim level hatchback. In order to do the conversion, you will need a manual rack pinion AND the rear crossmember that holds the rack. A crossmember from a power steering rack will not work and that's why this swap hasn't been done more. In terms of the manual rack's performance, the feel of connection between the road, the tires, and the steering wheel is fantastic. No artificial feeling while driving obviously low maintenance. However, it is not great performance wise for autocross or track day events. It's just too slow and your constantly turning as the ratios are just not geared for performance in mind.
Have you found anywhere recently that both parts are available? I've only seen the rack itself but the websites looked questionable.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

88LXi68
02-17-2017, 07:56 AM
I sourced mine through a Canadian member here on the east coast. If I was in your position I would find a member in British Columbia or Alberta that can check the junkyards there for an Accord S. At that point they can pull the whole assembly and freight it to you or make a road trip like I did. The junkyards have no clue you need both parts for it to work and the Accord S is pretty rare to begin with.

InAccordance
02-22-2017, 06:36 AM
Love Honda in 80's... all the good shit not brought to the US.