PDA

View Full Version : Battery Light

Whitehonda
02-05-2003, 09:09 AM
Hey guys,

I was driving home after class today and all of a sudden my battery light started to flicker and then came on solid. It was kinda weird, it would come and go as I shifted gears. Then it just stayed on. The battery is brand new. Do you think this is a sign of a dying alternator? Any help would be greatly appriciated!!!!

Cameron

Blue Impact
02-05-2003, 09:12 AM
Could be the alternator.

mindlos
02-05-2003, 09:16 AM
Get a multimeter and do a voltage test when off and wen running. The alternator should be putting out 14.4 volts. If you dont have one autozone and checker auto, maybe others too, will test all that stuff for free while in the car. They have a voltage and load tester. Really no hassle at all as long as you can get there.

Check your wires and belts too! Loose connections will get you too. Both the ground and the harness.

Whitehonda
02-05-2003, 11:36 AM
Ok I found out that the problem is the alternator as I had suspected. I had my friend down at the Honda dealership quote me on a price for him to install a refurbished one at $343. I was going to do it myself but just relized that my dad has the nice heated garage occupied with his summer vehicle. He said the easiest way to change out the alternator is to remove the axle completely from the transmission and then loosen the wishbone and eventually pop the old alternator off and slap the new one on and put it all back togather.He also said air tools are very favorible for loosening the hub nut. Thanks for the replies!!

Cameron

Blue Impact
02-05-2003, 12:02 PM
Hey, if you have a Kragen's near by, just get it there. I got mine there with a lifetime warranty fo less than $120. Your dad is wrong. You don't have to loosen any axles or wishbones just to remove/install an alternator. In fact, you don't have to loosen anything, but the bolts that holds the alternator. I did mine a long time ago and I think I took it out from underneath. I hope this will help you a bit.

Whitehonda
02-05-2003, 12:21 PM
My buddy down at the Honda dealership was telling me all that stuff about removing all that crap. I asked him about other ways and he said that it by far the easiest way to do it (hes been a mechanic for honda for 15+ years) so he is pretty familer with the old 3 gee. Also he highly reccomended not getting an after market alternator. He was saying that they have had a lot of problems with them, especially on the carb engines. He was telling me that the wireing is a little different and that it can sometimes affect the starting of the carb engine, something to do with the fuel pump and the aftermarket alternator not communicating correctly.

Cameron

shepherd79
02-05-2003, 01:59 PM
well, you have the EFI engine. you can change your alternator without taking your suspension appart.
you will have to remove the black airbox that is behind intake manifold. it should give you enough clearance to remove the alternator through.
i have done it on my friends LXI and it took us 30 minutes.

AccordEpicenter
02-05-2003, 09:00 PM
yeah its still a royal pain tho