PDA

View Full Version : cold advance

doug chaney
02-03-2017, 06:40 PM
Any harm in blocking cold advance port on vacuum advance diaphragm. After overnight cold, fast idle stays on for like 4-7 minutes. Maybe bad solenoid?

Dr_Snooz
02-03-2017, 07:29 PM
I'd be looking at the fast idle valve instead of the distributor.

JJ'sAccord
02-04-2017, 04:28 AM
Any harm in blocking cold advance port on vacuum advance diaphragm. After overnight cold, fast idle stays on for like 4-7 minutes. Maybe bad solenoid?

i have same problem. I just turn the screw to a position that i am satisfied with. as in 7 minutes tops for FIAV to do its job then shut off. i read that if you take it apart and clean it. it will help with the FIAV going crazy for too long. ( i mean disassembly the whole thing not just clean it with it fully assembled.)

Oldblueaccord
02-04-2017, 05:48 PM

Just asking is the fast idle RPM objectionable or what are we looking to achieve here? 4-7 mins in cold weather seems appropriate to me.

RPM can be adjusted lower. i run mine about 1500 rpm cold here in the south.

doug chaney
02-04-2017, 07:19 PM
Idle is at 1500.stays there for 4-7 min then drops to 1000 until temp comes up then drops to 750 rpm. I would ideally like the drop from 1500 to 1000 to occur sooner.

JJ'sAccord
02-05-2017, 08:44 AM
Idle is at 1500.stays there for 4-7 min then drops to 1000 until temp comes up then drops to 750 rpm. I would ideally like the drop from 1500 to 1000 to occur sooner.

in my experience of messing with this same issue. i would that's normally honestly. the FIAV should hold idle around 1500 for 4-8 minutes until temp is high enough for it to "shut off" or stop allowing idle to be higher due to cold starts.

if you want to not have it idle at 1500 you can bypass FIAV. i've seen a couple people do that on here. i'm just not sure if that's wise. colder oil will take longer to run through the motor to reach the heads. could cause problems down the line with engine knocking/valve ticking or something crazy.

you need that high rev to not only warm engine faster, but to give the oil pump a faster spin to allow the oil to warm up as well before driving.

im not a mechanic but i have read a lot about these FIAV due to me thinking i could just bypass it and be ok. until i read the pros and cons then i felt i should keep it. (you could always throw a 4th gen TB on it and i believe tht will make the FIAV obsolete and replace it with a MAF sensor or something similar)

JJ'sAccord
02-17-2017, 06:24 AM
in my experience of messing with this same issue. i would that's normally honestly. the FIAV should hold idle around 1500 for 4-8 minutes until temp is high enough for it to "shut off" or stop allowing idle to be higher due to cold starts.

if you want to not have it idle at 1500 you can bypass FIAV. i've seen a couple people do that on here. i'm just not sure if that's wise. colder oil will take longer to run through the motor to reach the heads. could cause problems down the line with engine knocking/valve ticking or something crazy.

you need that high rev to not only warm engine faster, but to give the oil pump a faster spin to allow the oil to warm up as well before driving.

im not a mechanic but i have read a lot about these FIAV due to me thinking i could just bypass it and be ok. until i read the pros and cons then i felt i should keep it. (you could always throw a 4th gen TB on it and i believe tht will make the FIAV obsolete and replace it with a MAF sensor or something similar)

doug did you ever solve this?

doug chaney
02-19-2017, 05:27 PM
Motor cold for 2 wks. Cranked it this morning, temp was around 50. Fast idle for 1.5-2 mins and done. Perfect. Bad hose to cold advance port on diaphragm.

Dr_Snooz
02-23-2017, 08:15 PM
Far out! Wasn't expecting that one.