PDA

View Full Version : My power streing leaks

1986hbdx
02-05-2003, 09:26 PM
My power streing leaks out when i put flued in it. it works but it leaks out.:wtf:

AZmike
02-06-2003, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by 1986hbdx
My power streing leaks out when i put flued in it. it works but it leaks out.:wtf:

I'm not sure what kind of reply you're hoping for with a post that vague.

If you can come up with some more concrete information about where, when, and how much it leaks we should be able to offer much more helpful advice. Right now I'm guessing either PS pressure line, PS pump pulley shaft seal, or rack end seals need to be replaced. Have you been using Honda PSF?

AccordEpicenter
02-06-2003, 10:13 AM
join the club. There are a couple of things that can give you a bad ps leak. One is the cooling tube in the front behind the bumper, they rust and leak, the metal high pressure lines at the rack can leak bad too, the rack itself can leak (mine does) and so can the hoses near the pump... just go look and see what you can see.

3G Jester
02-08-2003, 10:15 AM
Best thing to do is fill it with fluid------park in a driveway/parking lot.......fill hte resivoir......turn on the car and turn the wheel hard over right, hard over right, then kep going for a bit. (dojnt drive off!) get out...look under the car and see where its dripping from, then just go home (or if u are home) get out the tools and just start from the area of the leak---follow it up from the ground.

either that, or rip the wholew damn thing out.

In the mean time, if your fuild is gone right after u put it in.......unplug the pump for the fluid, that way itwont burn itself out. reattach it later

AZmike
02-09-2003, 12:28 AM
I think what 3g Jester meant to say is that you should remove the PS pump belt to keep from harming the pump. Runnning the pump with no fluid may overheat it which could damage the bearings and seals.

88WhiteLX-i
02-09-2003, 07:29 PM
If it's not a bad leak it doesn't really matter. Because my power steering lines in front of the radiator leak, but I don't fucking care because it only uses a few ounces every couple of months.

3G Jester
02-09-2003, 09:28 PM
yeah...thats what i ment 89LXi4dr. muchos gracias.

njpeter
02-10-2003, 05:53 PM
to inform everybody that Power Steering fluid can burn, so a leak over the exhaust manifold requires immediate action. I neraly lost my 87 to a power steering fluid fire. The car lit up a short time fater it was parked..luckily the attendant noticed it and put it out before the NYFD made mincemeat out of the car ( the a/c hose burst..and burning r12 is deadly( even a lungful is enough to kill ya)..so the fd tends to tear it all up to make sure ther eis no lingering flames.

I stiull have that one..with some white paint scorched off the hood

Microstreak
02-11-2003, 10:24 AM
hehe, ps fluid has been leaking in my car for almost 3 years now. just have to fill it up every 3-5 mths and its fine. my friend's 3g caught on fire, i don't remember why but in the end he ended up gettin a new mustang v8. but then again his parents are rich...

3G Jester
02-11-2003, 02:35 PM
Njpeter--post some pics!! :rolleyes: thnks for that useful bit of info!