PDA

View Full Version : electric roofantenna 2 gen Prelude/3 gen Accord

AWH
02-19-2017, 08:28 AM
I am looking for an electric antenna mounted on the roof at the driverside from a 2 gen Prelude or a 3 gen Accord.Complete with motor ofcourse and working.
Anyone to make me happy ?

zenapup
02-19-2017, 07:33 PM
I am looking for an electric antenna mounted on the roof at the driverside from a 2 gen Prelude or a 3 gen Accord.Complete with motor ofcourse and working.
Anyone to make me happy ?

I have one $60 with the motor included

AWH
02-20-2017, 02:20 AM
I am affraid that is about as much as they cost new...
But thanks anyway.

Does it come of a Prelude or an Accord ?
And does it retract into the windshieldpillar ?

zenapup
02-20-2017, 09:12 PM
I am affraid that is about as much as they cost new...
But thanks anyway.

Does it come of a Prelude or an Accord ?
And does it retract into the windshieldpillar ?

Accord and yes it does
Good luck finding a new one, I was not able to

AWH
02-21-2017, 04:06 AM
ok, will keep it in mind for now,first figure out how to remove mine,seems to be quite a hassle i believe. If i think i might be able to replace it without having to tear apart half of my interiour,i think i will contact you again,new ones have indeed been discontinued as i found...
So thanks for your offer.

DBMaster
02-23-2017, 12:04 PM
After constantly tweaking, cleaning, and lubricating mine to have it work for twenty years the internal plastic actuator broke on a very cold morning. I was so sick of that thing that I replaced it with a manual antenna, removed the motor from under the dash, and replaced the console switch with a blank panel from a salvage yard. I wish I had done it years before that!

Dr_Snooz
02-23-2017, 07:40 PM
Yeah, those antennas are a bloody nightmare. I have a [mostly] working one that I salvaged from a junkyard, restored to working condition with painstaking care and invented new swear words changing out. I spent waaaaayy too much time on it and dare not use it for fear it will crap out again. It's there so I can brag that I have a working one, but it's nothing more than an ornament.

AWH
02-24-2017, 01:22 PM
But is it possible to extract the complete antenna with motor and all ,without having to tear apart a lot of interiourparts ? I mean ,will it just unbold and come out,or is there stuff i wiil have to remove to gain acces to it and if so what do i have to remove ?

Dr_Snooz
02-24-2017, 07:04 PM
Oh no. It's not nearly that easy. You have to contort yourself into position to access the motor under the dash. Then you have to detach the motor from the mast. If memory serves, I had to cut the plastic insert because it was simply impossible to extract it from the motor unbroken. Then you'll need to attach two (2!) strings to the ends of the old mast and remove it. You don't have to use the strings, but you'll never get the new mast fed back down the A-pillar. The strings make it easier, but it's still not easy. The mast and plastic insert feed down at different rates and find every imaginable opportunity to snag. Then you'll have to remove the old motor which is attached with bolts you can't see or reach. Then you have to reattach the mast to the motor, which requires a retaining clip to be installed just so, while you are contorted into unnatural positions. To my knowledge, I'm the only member to successfully replace the power mast assembly on a 3g.

https://www.3geez.com/forum/interior-exterior-care/67504-believed-extinct-now-revealed-extraordinary-amateur-video.html?highlight=antenna+mast+pillar

I'd suggest you practice on some junkyard cars before attempting it on your own.

AWH
02-25-2017, 08:06 AM
Wow,impressive !
Already figured out it's hard to get at and in impossible positions,and then you still cant see what you have to do.Sadly no junkyard car around to practice on.But thanks a lot for the tips.I'm sure they will be helpful.