PDA

View Full Version : BOSS audio

aussiegen3
02-06-2003, 04:25 AM
hey guys i havnt hered much coment on boss audio systems
i picked myself up a 10" 500w boss subby for $69 (au) and a 4 channel 500 watt boss amp for $150 (au) as well got both for 70% of each and i wanna get anouther small amp to run the subby and use the 4 channel to run some splits and 6x9's that i am yet to buy can anyone recomend some good and affordable splits and 6x9's .....and will my proposed configeration work?

also is boss a good brand or not?

brendan

sanjay
02-07-2003, 09:20 PM
boss audio is a ..... mid range brand name.
It is often found on the shelves of bulk car sound shops....
However, generally, what you pay is what you get.
I have 4" Boss Audio splits, and for me they do the job at an affordable price. However, I am not a car audio guru, and I am sure that there are many out there who are able to tell the difference between good and average speakers....

pmip
02-08-2003, 11:32 AM
I have a 500 watt Boss 2 channel amp sitting in my garage right now. I got it for fairly cheap a couple years ago, but I didn't like it all that much, so I got a better amp. For being rated at 500 watts (peak), it only seemed like it was pumping out 200 watts at the most. And the sound quality wasn't that great (I was running an Alpine 10" type R with it). But for how cheap it was, it was still pretty good. Basically, I agree with Sanjay, what you pay for is what you get. If you want something that's midline and you don't want to spend a lot of money, it's a good brand. If you want to spend a lot more money, there are much better brands out there.

smufguy
02-08-2003, 06:24 PM
im a lil late to this thread but anyways, stay away from them. U need sound, go for quality. Dont be like those poeple who pick up those 200 watt speaker set from Walmart. Spend a little more like 50 or so and get a nice amp so that u wont have to sit in ur car one day and go "shit, why the heck did i get this system". cause who knows, u might not be able to sell it or even get an other one.

IMO: Alpine has always stood out in its quality, build and price. I also like kenwood and i really wish Sherwood would make less priced amps.

aussiegen3
02-08-2003, 06:50 PM
yeah thanks for the info guys i was only after a midrange system anyway cos money is tight at the moment but i will get a mid to high range head unit since thats were the sound quality realy comes from and some good speakers 6" splits and 6x9"s

AccordEpicenter
02-11-2003, 09:15 PM
ive seen a bunch of kids with boss amps and none of them put out nearly what they said they did, maybe 1/3 of the power the amp said. You get what you pay for in most instances, so id advise you to save your money and get better stuff, it costs less than upgrading 2x.

aussiegen3
02-12-2003, 03:14 AM
yeah ive decided to ditch the 10" sub and save some more for a pair of better ones like mtx or those square kickers and get anouther amp to run them and the the 500w boss amp to run 4 speakers, splits and 6x9's i might be able to get $50(au) or so for the boss sub.

sanjay
02-12-2003, 05:11 AM
hey brendan
go to the "let's meet" topic section,
and find the thread "hey aussie's where the heck are you all" (or something like that) and you'll find fellow australia 3 geers....
plus you can find a higher quality subwoofer than MTX.

smufguy
02-12-2003, 08:24 AM
how about alpines? OR rockford fosgates? THey are pretty inexpensive compared to the MTX and Kickers. Though the kicker and MTX are good ones, i just dont like the way they sounded when i went to check out the prices and copmare the sound. IMO the 10" Type R Alpines, picked up Lower base than a 12" MTX. Do know that they ran off of the same Amp (it was an Alpine with that digital thing going on). Anyways, They were dual subs in circuitcity showcase. Thats when i decided, Alpines are the first on my list.

AccordEpicenter
02-12-2003, 07:44 PM
Alpines are good subs, either type R or S, Es suck. For fosgate, any model above those sucky punch zs are pretty good. Kickers are ok, the comps are good for the money but i think the L7s and L5s are overpriced. MTX's strong points are its amps, not subs, so i bet youd be better off with somthing else. JL Audio is also a strong competitor

aussiegen3
02-13-2003, 03:51 AM
well thanks again heaps for the info guys , looks like ill be saving for a bit , probaly get a 2 channel mtx amp and decide on the subs, ive never seen rockford fosgates for sale near me but i recon i could get them in melbourne (moving in 2 weeks) maby alpine head unit as well (see how the cashflow looks) i might end up with just 6x9"s and 6" splits for a bit till i can afford anouther amp and pair of subs + boxes

kennycm
03-02-2003, 08:29 PM
i have a 900w boss amp on my subs and it is doing better than the memphis i had back there before.

SMITHACCORD*&
03-03-2003, 04:25 PM
I have a boss headunit. With 2 pioneer 6 1/2's and 2 visiontec 4 inch speakers and it sounds really really good enough power to shake the rear view and pump a little somethin somethin.