PDA

View Full Version : carb fuel pump "survey"

njpeter
02-06-2003, 04:51 AM
well my accord is back up to it's old tricks..now I changed the fuel pump about 100k miles ago..and last week it started sputtin...like it did when the coil was bad..so I swapped in a new coil and it's still sputtin( unpredictable for speed and/or engine load)...I'm thinking distributor..but that's sorta wishful....I really think the fuel pump is about to crap out ( or my carb needs a good spray down)...I have a biz trip today..but I have to get into this on saturday..sooooo..

1-how long has your fuel pump lasted...
2-what in your view are the first signs of impending failure of the carb fuel pump

it isn't really the $100 the pump is going to set me back ( I'll swap the distributor after hosing the carb)..it's the nasty and high-risk job of changing it.

your opinions are most valued my "peeps" ( I'm getting old)..I finally figured out what "peeps" were...but only after watching american idol last night.

if someone could set up a poll on fuel pump life, I'm sure it would be interesting..and besides..when it does crap out..we're walking...

79EK1
02-06-2003, 09:01 AM
I had a Carter, but it was really loud, so I swapped it for a Mallory Comp-70 that lasted less than 20k miles. The gear shredded and lost all pressure. The only good thing about it was that it was real quiet. Now I'm using a Holley Red. I can't say how long it will last, but so far, it's okay. As I look back, the most reliable, troublefree pump I had was the stock one. The only problem was that it just couldn't keep up with the Weber.