PDA

View Full Version : Carb Or Fuel Injected

HVerLX
02-06-2003, 10:46 AM
my honda has a carb'ed engin in it what do you think will be better. my grandpa used to race his step side gmc truck forgot year and he said carb is better because you can modify your gas input and crap well please respond on what you think is beter.

TJ89Accord
02-06-2003, 12:56 PM
IMO on a honda, fuel injection is a MILLION times better. You start off with more horsepower. Theres more af an aftermarket for them (except the 3G doesn't really have an aftermarket). On an old hot rod or someting then go with the carb.

tim

HVerLX
02-06-2003, 01:03 PM
I got a 1990 Ford Probe its extremly modified and it has fuel injection. i think ill just go with a carb and start building a fuel injection engin and install it when the carb'ed engin blows out.

AccordEpicenter
02-06-2003, 09:56 PM
Well maybe for v8s its better, all the v8 FI systems ive seen royally sucked... GM's TBI for example. On 4 and 6's you cant beat the tunability and reliability of FI.

Blue Impact
02-07-2003, 12:00 AM
My brother said the same thing about carbs too and as a result we got into an argument. I'm still saying fuel injection is better than carb cuz IT IS!!.

:D-LUDE
02-07-2003, 12:10 AM
well they wouldnt of have started to use EFI in cars instead of carb if it wasnt better, Carbs yes are easier to play around with,
fuel injection are more economical yet produce more power.

montreal
02-08-2003, 01:49 PM
Yes, I agree with those of you in favour of EFI. It's better overall, that's why all automakers are using it now. I think even a crappy FI system is better than a carburetor. Most older people that grew up with good old fashioned carbureted vehicles feel more comfortable with them becuase they're more simple to work on and that's what they're used to. These are probably the same sort of people that resent change like ATMs, the Internet, etc.

I'm sure your grandpa meant well and probably believes it in his heart that a carburetor is better, but I'd rather have fuel injection any day! I'd take advice from a mechanic that knows both systems very well, not someone who's biased or misinformed.

DBMaster
02-08-2003, 01:58 PM
Personally, I think FI is a lot simpler. I rebuilt carbs on several cars in my younger days. With FI you know exactly what kind of fuel delivery you are getting and the system has far fewer moving parts. It is much easier to obtain the desired emission results without all the crap they used to have to put on carbed cars as emission controls. Therefore, there is little or no performace loss for the sake of emissions.

Carbs are still going to have their devoted following, but I hope I never have to work on one again. It is an outdated, imprecise device.