PDA

View Full Version : Lower breather tube

Trent Von
02-27-2017, 07:56 PM
1986 Accord LXi, 330k miles :cheers:

I'm pretty sure that my oil leak is coming from the lower breather tube.

Question? Is there a substitute tube can I use? What would be the diameter? Or is the $40 online part my only option?

(Backstory)
Last summer I changed the oil pan gasket, upon reassembly decided to reused the lower breather tube.
The leak appears to be dripping down to the exhaust pipe causing a bit of oil smoke. The leak is only noticeable just after a drive…. it drips into a puddle, then stops for the rest of the night. My guess is when there's crank case pressure the oil gets forced out around the connections (BTW, I plan on going through the entire PCV system just to rule out any blockage).

Also, I can rule out Dizzy (replaced), no evident oil around area. Replaced valve cover gasket (dry just below cover). Replaced the oil filter housing gasket and oil pressure sending unit seal.

Oldblueaccord
02-28-2017, 07:13 AM
1986 Accord LXi, 330k miles :cheers:

I'm pretty sure that my oil leak is coming from the lower breather tube.

Question? Is there a substitute tube can I use? What would be the diameter? Or is the $40 online part my only option?

(Backstory)
Last summer I changed the oil pan gasket, upon reassembly decided to reused the lower breather tube.
The leak appears to be dripping down to the exhaust pipe causing a bit of oil smoke. The leak is only noticeable just after a drive…. it drips into a puddle, then stops for the rest of the night. My guess is when there's crank case pressure the oil gets forced out around the connections (BTW, I plan on going through the entire PCV system just to rule out any blockage).

Also, I can rule out Dizzy (replaced), no evident oil around area. Replaced valve cover gasket (dry just below cover). Replaced the oil filter housing gasket and oil pressure sending unit seal.

Quick fix is put two worm clamps on either end might work.

Trent Von
03-01-2017, 07:13 PM
Cool, you know... it might just be that easy. I'll give it a go!

Oldblueaccord
03-02-2017, 01:56 PM
As far as a real replacement I dont have a clue. As you stated its a bitch getting that on with the oil pan at the same time.

I just opened the water clamps and rethreaded them back together.

I have had good luck with the ones that come from Home Depot and there pretty cheap and NOT Chinese.

Dr_Snooz
03-02-2017, 07:12 PM
It's possible that the oring seal between the breather box and the block is leaking.

Oldblueaccord
03-03-2017, 12:22 PM
I Didnt know there was one there!

Dr_Snooz
03-03-2017, 04:59 PM
Lol