PDA

View Full Version : a/c

Dana
05-24-2002, 05:49 PM
will removing my a/c give me more horse? It doesn't work anyway, and is it worth the effort?:wave:

accordlx
05-24-2002, 06:32 PM
The horsepower gained by removing your a/c is probably less than 3 hp. when it is not running. The weight savings is also minimal unless you scrap every part of it including the condenser.

You would probably be better served by just removing or cutting the belt if you want those 3 extra horsepower.

Most older cars would realize a better horsepower gain by just spraying some carb cleaner in the carb or pouring something like STP fuel system cleaner in the gas tank. There is also no good substitute for a new set of plugs, a new air filter and a new set of ignition wires.

Personally, I wouldnt remove the A/C but that is just me because I use mine. You might also decide down the line that you want to get your A/C fixed.

I would have a greater weight savings in my car if I scrapped my 70 lb. subwoofer box in the trunk and removed all of the other non essentials I carry around daily. Your spare tire and jack weighs more than your A/C compressor. You have to decide what your priorities are at this point but I wouldnt do it.

ACCORD EX
05-25-2002, 08:41 AM
A/C off takes no power ! :D
because teh belt is only attached when its on ! :)

MIKE

Dana
05-25-2002, 10:43 AM
I did not know that?:stupid: