PDA

View Full Version : Power steering problem

InAccordance
03-02-2017, 04:51 PM
So just had the rack and pinion replaced today and I now have no PS.
Replaced the pump just to be sure... pump is fine, tested it and everything.
I'm just looking for a fresh brain to storm on this one cause I am kind of stumped..

Flushed system out and even bought fluid from the dealership so it's the real shit.
pump is throwing out pressure, removed the pressure line to test.
tank has good activity inside and no bubbles.
No leaks, put cardboard underneath and let it sit just to be sure.

How safe for the rack is it to run like this? Still have to get to work and stuff.

Dr_Snooz
03-02-2017, 07:03 PM
Yeah, it's fine to run that way. Not sure what's going on with your steering though. Was it working when you picked it up from the shop?

InAccordance
03-02-2017, 07:21 PM
Kind of fault for assuming, but I knew the pump was going bad so I just assumed it had finally went and drove to the store from the shop to get one.

Doing some research has got me onto the idea of air in the system, like in the rack itself... will try some tricks tomorrow to see if that's the case.

Couldn't be a blockage somewhere, I would've blown out a seal or hose already I would think...
rack seems fine so far, nice and smooth when you're moving of course.

Dr_Snooz
03-03-2017, 06:42 PM
Any air in the system should be out the first time you turn lock to lock. If a shop replaced the rack, take it back and make them fix it.

InAccordance
03-03-2017, 09:01 PM
Well it seems to be fixed... leaving work I made a sharp left turn and felt a whump through the steering wheel and bam... power steering works.
Guess it forced the air out finally.
No lines popped or anything so that's good.