PDA

View Full Version : lets fix my oil leak

Oldblueaccord
03-03-2017, 12:21 PM
http://imageshack.com/a/img923/3449/Nf5l1D.jpg

Multiple valve cover gaskets and the new grommets as well. Factory torques to specs.

Just not having any luck.

Warm weather is close and I want to start driving this a lot again. Got some news things to try out~.

http://imageshack.com/a/img922/2228/6J5M3P.jpg

Dr_Snooz
03-03-2017, 05:10 PM
Is the cover bent? It's not likely with a cast cover, but it could be cracked? Are you putting sealant in the corners/removing old sealant? Is "factory spec" 7 ft-lbs (somewhere around wrist tight)?

I know you're not an idiot but it never hurts to cover the basics first. The other question is, how old are the "new" gaskets you're using? I've gotten new ones that were harder than the old ones I was throwing away. It's one of the biggest problems I've had with parts for these cars. You go to buy a "new" gasket and the shop pulls one off their shelf that has been there since 1986.

Oldblueaccord
03-03-2017, 07:15 PM
Is the cover bent? It's not likely with a cast cover, but it could be cracked? Are you putting sealant in the corners/removing old sealant? Is "factory spec" 7 ft-lbs (somewhere around wrist tight)?

I know you're not an idiot but it never hurts to cover the basics first. The other question is, how old are the "new" gaskets you're using? I've gotten new ones that were harder than the old ones I was throwing away. It's one of the biggest problems I've had with parts for these cars. You go to buy a "new" gasket and the shop pulls one off their shelf that has been there since 1986.

I d like to try a new valve cover but i dont think i seen one in a while.

I usually put a dab of sealant around the two humps but thats it. I am considering Permatexing it up and just see what that does. its getting all over my timing belt etc and even the AC belt some.

One thing too I know with age the ring seal is not that great so the crank case pressure is prolly high as well.

InAccordance
03-03-2017, 09:06 PM
Try Oreilly's, I've had the problem of old new gaskets too but Oreilly seems to be decent with keeping decent stuff in stock.
That or make them order it so you know it's newer-ish.
Actually had to replace my valve cover gasket when I got this one. Old one was so bad it had turned into what felt like plastic almost and had big gaps.

InAccordance
03-03-2017, 10:04 PM
Is yours carb? I have a spare carb valve cover since I am using the fancy painted FI one.

gp02a0083
03-06-2017, 10:25 AM
possibly leaking from the cam seal?