PDA

View Full Version : Trouble locating suspension bushings

wheelhorse2347
03-04-2017, 06:16 AM
Hello all,

I have a 1988 Honda accord LXi 142k original miles. I'm the second owner and it lived its whole life in Florida on their glass smooth roads. Its now with me in Detroit and our roads haven't been good to the original bushings. Basically, I've slowly been replacing suspension part after suspension part. Fix one part, and it shakes another bushing to pieces.

I've been having a gnarly shudder braking above 40mph, and all brakes are brand new all around. After giving the tires a kick, I see that they have forward and backward play. They "Vibrate" after giving them a kick.

There appears to be a strut going from the steering knuckle to the front of the car that appears to keep the knuckle from moving forward and backward. There also is a "strut in the rear that goes forward and mounts to the frame with a big doughnut shaped bushing.

all of these bushings are toast, and since this is my daily driver 80+ round trip I need to get this fixed.

What are these parts called, so I can locate the bushings. I haven't been able to find any information on them.

Thanks in advance. I can send pics if needed.

Killian665
03-04-2017, 10:23 AM
You can get everything from Rockauto. On their site Mevotech offers an entire front end rebuild kit with their Supreme X line of stuff which is very high quality and has a lifetime warranty. $175.

Dr_Snooz
03-04-2017, 08:02 PM
The front member you describe is known as the radius rod. The rear is the trailing arm.

Download the 89 Accord Service Manual (https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vtyhl48z5uftmt1/AAA0VFYqWyfZ35Nvudl0xk_Oa?dl=0) and familiarize yourself with the suspension. Info is in chapter 19.

wheelhorse2347
03-06-2017, 08:37 AM
Thanks for all the good information. Thus far, I've replaced all the upper control arms all around, lower ball joints, rotors, drums, pads, shoes, new coil springs and shocks in the front...past the point of no return anyway so going to finish the job. After this weekends work with the rest of the control arms it does drive a bit better (the upper ball joint drivers side rear was dangerously close to working its way out of the control arm).

Oldblueaccord
03-07-2017, 01:36 PM
Check the rear upper ball joints, stock they wear very quick and they will break with little warning.

wheelhorse2347
03-23-2017, 01:35 PM
Yep, just did all of the upper control arms (ball joints included). Ball joints and control arms all seem solid now, but still having the same issue. It will be a week or so before I can get under it to take a closer look.

rushell
04-01-2017, 11:03 AM
where u live in detroit i grew up in detroit and moved to florida in 1987 when i was 14

wheelhorse2347
04-09-2017, 08:01 PM
Living in Hamtramck now. Used to live around Addison and McGraw just off Michigan near Wyoming