PDA

View Full Version : What Accord trannys are compatible?

Stew Pidasso
02-06-2003, 04:38 PM
First of all I searched and did not come up with anything relevant to my question. What I'm wondering is, are all of the 3rd gen trannys compatible with other years. For example, will an 89 lxi auto work on an 87 LX auto? Same thing with 5 speeds? I'm just wondering because I need a 5 speed tranny and a friend of mine needs an auto. He was told only an 86-87 auto tranny will work. I don't buy it though. I'm more familiar with 5th gen accords and i know that just about all 4th-6th gen Accord and prelude trannies are interchangeable. I have 2 3rd gens by the way and I love them. It's funny that people actually knock on my door asking me if I'm selling them... Thanks for any responses.

dXsquared
02-06-2003, 04:40 PM
i know that all 5 speed trannys are changeable...as well as lude SI trannys... they have different gears... but i dunno about auto trannys!!

Travis

Stew Pidasso
02-06-2003, 06:26 PM
Thanks man
Anyone else on the auto trannies?

Jareds 89 LX-i
02-06-2003, 09:19 PM
As to my knowledge, all the auto trannies 86-89 were all the same and interchangable. I don't see why they wouldn't be, since it's the same engine, axles, etc for all 4 years. There were 2 different manual trannies (carb vs EFI), but it was only the ratios that were different, so they were still interchangable. According to my 88 service manual, the auto tranny number is F4, the EFI 5 speed is E2Q5, and the carb'd 5 speed is E2Q6, if those help ya out any. And like DX said, the 84-87 Lude manual tranny was a direct swap, and had better gear ratios. Here's the link to all the info on that.... http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=165 . Or if you really wanted to get dirty, the innerds from the 1st gen Teg manual tranny will fit into the Accord or Lude tranny housing, and work real well with better ratios (the Teg tranny itself won't bolt up, gotta swap the insides). PhydeauX did that on his....

:)

Stew Pidasso
02-07-2003, 03:37 AM
That's what I was thinking. Thanks.

smufguy
02-07-2003, 07:22 AM
The first gear ratio on all of them are exactly the same so whats the adv of that? Besides what the ratios of the 1st gen?

Here is the link to my website that has the 5spd manual and auto gear ratios. IF u look at it, the ratios for the manual are exactly same to the SI lude. THe ratios i have were taken from the import cars in Paul's shop manual.
Why the difference???? :weird:

http://89accord.netfirms.com/Stock.htm