PDA

View Full Version : 1979 Accord 4 door.

BeatzByDox
03-18-2017, 09:58 PM
I came across this car while shopping for a boat and instantly fell in love. Ive been an avid "Import" fan my whole life but this one really caught my eye.
Even has the original tires from Japan Im guessing. Only downside was it had been sitting for years and the carburetor is a nightmare of rushed ingenuity and vacuum lines. It had to go so I strapped the old weber 32/36 on there and she came right to life. But then the brakes, then the fuses went, next the gas tank blah blah.... I put a part on and another part failed lol. But now she will be ready to paint and reupholster and its been fun. Actually fun to fix. Should I keep it stock or paint it a different color?

79cord
03-19-2017, 01:12 AM
Burgundy can look classy, & if it has matching interior another colour could look strange. Glad it doesn't have the common dealer-fit or aftermarket additional rub-strips or other tat.
Looks like it has acquired some older wheels, I think the N.American '79 4-hole wheels might have been 1/2" wider than the 8-hole design (but Australia & Europe kept the 8-hole design right through '76-'81).

Dr_Snooz
03-19-2017, 07:24 PM
Cool ride!

BeatzByDox
03-20-2017, 10:14 PM
Thanks. Yeah I might keep it burgundy but Im liking the smoke grey and slate hue. No rush. She runs good and I have time to fix it correctly instead of rushing. Are these generally good cars to have on the side? Parts are getting harder to find in tx so I was just wondering. Thanks for the replies!

BeatzByDox
03-20-2017, 10:15 PM
Thanks Doc

Dr_Snooz
03-22-2017, 08:56 PM
Are these generally good cars to have on the side?

In terms of having a backup car or as a collector item?

79cord
03-23-2017, 12:20 AM
Fairly simple & reliable.
Will attract some attention in good condition now that they are so rare, but Honda's are generally cars that people enjoyed/used & took for granted so most body & trim parts are now rare & hard to get rather than things people held onto to make money from.

tof
03-25-2017, 08:42 AM
How do you like that Webber carb?

Keeping it original vs. "tuning" it kind of depends on where you live and I don't really know what the car culture around DFW is like. But if you do decide to keep it original I would go with original color paint and interior. If you decide to dress it up, good luck finding rims with 4x120 PCD. ;-)

Have fun and keep us posted on progress.

BeatzByDox
03-25-2017, 06:47 PM
In terms of having a backup car or as a collector item?

Both. Id like it to be a reliable driver. Trip to the coast 5hrs

BeatzByDox
03-25-2017, 06:55 PM
How do you like that Webber carb?

Keeping it original vs. "tuning" it kind of depends on where you live and I don't really know what the car culture around DFW is like. But if you do decide to keep it original I would go with original color paint and interior. If you decide to dress it up, good luck finding rims with 4x120 PCD. ;-)

Have fun and keep us posted on progress.

Weber carb saved a lot of time, frustration, and money in the long run. Its got a short power band but its to be expected. I think Im going the aesthetic route. Matte dark blue or black. Found a good deal in upholstery in ft. worth so ill match the stock "red". The honda scene here is rather large but unfortunately their tune ethic is still based on The Fast and Furious movies. I dont want that associated with this one haha. Autozone can keep their parts I plan on Cad/Cam at home the ones I can duplicate. And those rims are a pain. Almost none around here...and not cheap if you find them...stupid supply and demand :)

Dr_Snooz
03-29-2017, 08:00 PM
Both. Id like it to be a reliable driver. Trip to the coast 5hrs

As a general rule, "reliable" isn't an adjective used to describe any car nearly 40 years old. There's always something waiting to break.

BeatzByDox
03-29-2017, 11:02 PM
I like that! Thanks!

Dr_Snooz
04-05-2017, 08:49 PM
However, in the population of 40 year old cars, Hondas are way up there in terms of reliability. Stay current on your maintenance and pay particular attention to belts and hoses, which, if they break, will require an expensive tow. Don't hesitate to do complete overhauls when stuff starts looking tired. For instance, the brake hoses require replacement, but the hard lines, calipers, master cylinder, etc are all noticeably tired, then do a complete stem-to-stern replacement with new parts.