PDA

View Full Version : gear hunting?

1987HondaAccord
02-07-2003, 03:58 PM
heres a good one...

Almost every time that I go around a corner and sort of step on the gas comming out of the corner, my auto trans doesn't seem to find the right gear at first. It sort of "tries" 3rd (the gear it was in before the corner) and then revs a little and slips into 2nd. Would this happen to all cars about this old or is it just me? Can i do anything to stop this from happening other than not touching the gas until im out of the corner? I know that some of the tranny fluid is not honda atf but i didnt think it would do this...

thanks in advance for your help!!

bobafett
02-07-2003, 05:20 PM
i have heard that getting honda ATF is critical. try that and see if it fixes your problem. i dont know autos, but thats what ambers old car did when it was low on fluid, so maybe you should flush it with honda ATF!

AccordEpicenter
02-07-2003, 10:32 PM
i have good atf and mine does it occasionally... im not really sure what causes it. You might benefit from a change...

njpeter
02-08-2003, 06:24 AM
I've had the exact same thing happen on turns,go tot he dealer....get 6 quarts of honda ATF, drain the fluid and dump three quarts in there...repeat in 6 months.

AvgWhtMale
02-08-2003, 10:07 PM
Here's what mine did: slowing down to about 25 (usually to take a corner) and then speeding back up again, it would drop down to 2nd and rev like a mother, then upshift. If I slowed down to 20, it would downshift while still slowing down, and wouldn't rev like a mother. It was low on fluid and the mechanic says it had the wrong kind of fluid. He put in "fluid X" which is allegedly equivalent to Honda ATF, and now it is much smoother, usually still does it. However, if you manually downshift to "D3" while still slowing, it won't do it. Will probably use Honda ATF next time.

1987HondaAccord
02-08-2003, 11:59 PM
So I think the general consensus is use Honda ATF.... It seems to solve almost all transmission problems....

thanks for everyone's help... I just have to find a dealership now

88WhiteLX-i
02-09-2003, 07:26 PM
My car does that to, but it's just how you take the corner. just before the corner I brake which is slowing down the engine and then the tranny slips into a lower gear. But if you give the engine a second to catch up to the tranny it'll be fine. then you can give it more gas and it's fly.