PDA

View Full Version : Motor mount

Mantis88LX
02-08-2003, 12:00 PM
the motor mount that sits on the drivers side of the egine bay.
are the ones for the LXIs different? like stiffer or stonger since the LXIs had more power than the LX's ?

DBMaster
02-08-2003, 12:47 PM
I believe they are all the same. The lower mounts are the ones that go bad, anwyay. I have heard of the mounting tab that is part of the block breaking on the mount you are talking about, but it usually some sort of blow to the underside of the engine to do that.

Mantis88LX
02-08-2003, 12:48 PM
can we get stiffer ones or is there a way to make the stock ones stiffer?

AZmike
02-09-2003, 12:21 AM
Why do you want stiffer ones? A stiffer motor mount will transmit more engine vibration to the rest of the car.

BoredRec
02-09-2003, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by 89LXi4dr
Why do you want stiffer ones? A stiffer motor mount will transmit more engine vibration to the rest of the car.

Yeah, but you also don't lose as much power transferring torque from the flywheel to the wheels.

AZmike
02-09-2003, 01:05 AM
Once the engine has shifted position due to the applied torque how does the softer mount continue to absorb the engine's energy? Does that small amount of energy lost during changes in torque (like during shifting) really amount to anything significant?

Jareds 89 LX-i
02-09-2003, 01:09 AM
I do remember reading on other Honda sites about solid mounts or inserts or something, for those seriously modded/boosted guys. I guess it helped control wheel hop during takeoff or something along those lines.

I guess in a racing application though, that small amount the engine moves during a shift, and the time it takes to get back to the spot where it's applying power to the wheels after the shift = lost time accelerating and an overall slightly slower ET time. Same principal as a short shifter = faster shifts = more time accelerating and less time decelerating (during shifts).

AZmike
02-09-2003, 01:34 AM
Stiffer (or solid) mounts make sense for racing when the extra 0.01 second matters and vibration and comfort don't matter a bit. I just think it's probably not the best choice for a car that will probably drive almost exclusively on the street.

NOAHS88accord
02-09-2003, 05:07 AM
where do i get replacement engine mounts? and are they hard to install?

87accordlxph
02-09-2003, 07:20 AM
Originally posted by NOAHS88accord
where do i get replacement engine mounts? and are they hard to install?

Try the Honda store, but expect a nice price for em.
Best bet would be the boneyard. You can actually test the mounts for play at the scrap yard to see if they are still good.

-Mike