PDA

View Full Version : 88 Accord, need advice

montreal
02-08-2003, 01:40 PM
Hi, I'm so glad I found this excellent forum. I've just been browsing through a bunch of the posts and forums here and you guys really know it all! I just bought a 1988 Accord Limited, but it's kind of banged up and needs some work, cosmetically and mechanically. I've already improved the appearance and mechanical condition, but I still have more work to do to make it decent looking and running. The car was rather neglected.

I'm sure these questions are answered somewhere but I haven't been able to find them, so please point me in the right direction if you know where I can find the info.

(BTW I have a Haynes repair manual, these items were not addressed in it)

- How do I remove the signal lights in the front bumper (seems to be one screw on the bottom but I can't seem to locate it, it's inset quite far I guess), plus I need to know how to remove the front sidemarker lights, I cannot see how they are attached to the car!

- My right side retracting headlight doesn't work, how can I remove it? (I want to get one from the wreckers, also will one from an '86 Accord work, I found one that matches so I wouldn't need to repaint)

- I attempted to get a new cap & rotor. There were two choices depending on the type of distrubutor I have. I tried both and neither one fits! The Honda dealer searched for me and came to the conclusion that the previous owner changed the motor with one from a car sold in the US (mine was sold in Canada). My distrubutor cap is round with a couple of square edges, the problem was the holes for the screws didn't line up.

Any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated!

carotman
02-08-2003, 02:23 PM
Well, I guess I should post a reply here since I'm from Montreal's south shore (and I'm the only member in your area)

The signals in the bumper are removed from below the bumper. There is one screw that you need to remove

The sidemarker light can be removed from the front when the lights are flipped up

Any flip light from a 86-89 accord will work on your car.

As for the distributor cap, I really don't know. There are 3 models (2 carb and 1 efi)

I guess that you have the hitachi model since you have an automatic transmission.... the US models should be the same to my knowledge.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask :)

87accordlxi
02-08-2003, 02:32 PM
welcome :)

to remove the bumper signals, pop out the covers in the bumper just below the signals. if you look up there, you'll see the housing. there should be a hole up there inthe housing, thats where the screw is. once you unscrew everything, the housing should come out.

for the distributor question, try asking the guys in the Tech sections. im sure one of them will be able to help you out

montreal
02-08-2003, 03:10 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome guys! I'll take your advice on the lights, I guess I just need more patience. Not easy when it's cold and there's snow on the ground where I'm trying to work! :)

I'll post the distrbutor cap question in the tech section, hopefully someone there can help. The guys at the local Honda dealer were baffled.