PDA

View Full Version : Distibutor cap & rotor - HELP!!!!

montreal
02-08-2003, 03:20 PM
Ok, so just got my 1988 Accord Limited, it's carburated and automatic and not running very well so I decided to give it a tune-up. The only problem I ran into was getting a cap & rotor. I've tried aftermarket and genuine Honda parts, but none seem to fit. I believe I've got the Hitachi distributor, the cap is round with some square edges on a couple of the sides (as opposed to other choice which is totally round.

The only problem is that of the distributor caps that looked to be the right shape, the holes for the screws didn't line up. The guys at the Honda dealer were baffled. They think the previous owner changed the engine, or at least the distributor, with one from an American version Accord (mine is a Canadian version Accord).

The cap and rotor that are on right now are in poor condition and made my a company called "Tec" or "Tek" (sorry, can't remeber spelling). Any ideas?

1988starter
02-08-2003, 03:55 PM
their was hitatchi and teck distributers try getting a teck one.

87accordlxph
02-08-2003, 04:22 PM
I'd get the Tec one, it's round w/ a small straight edge all the towers on the cap look like the dots on a 5 dotted die.

Hope this helps.

BTW, the cap will read Tec on it.

P.S. Don't forget the gasket that goes w/ the cap!

-Mike

montreal
02-08-2003, 04:33 PM
Thanks guys. Going by the descriptions, I think mine is a Tec cap and rotor, but I just can't find a replacement for them. Did you mean I need to change just the cap & rotor? Not the distributor I hope! :) If so, do you know where I can get the Tec cap and rotor? There doesn't appear to be a part number on it and each place I go to looks up the parts based on the year, make and model of the car.

Also, there was no gasket when I took off the old cap and the caps I did try didn't come with gaskets. Maybe that's specific to the Tec cap? Like I said before, even the Honda dealer was baffled about this. Was the Tec cap and rotor used only US Accords?

87accordlxph
02-08-2003, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by montreal
Thanks guys. Going by the descriptions, I think mine is a Tec cap and rotor, but I just can't find a replacement for them. Did you mean I need to change just the cap & rotor? Not the distributor I hope! :) If so, do you know where I can get the Tec cap and rotor? There doesn't appear to be a part number on it and each place I go to looks up the parts based on the year, make and model of the car.

Also, there was no gasket when I took off the old cap and the caps I did try didn't come with gaskets. Maybe that's specific to the Tec cap? Like I said before, even the Honda dealer was baffled about this. Was the Tec cap and rotor used only US Accords?

Hey dude,

Here's the Genuien Honda model number to that cap. Do ask the dealer for the gasket to go w/ it

30102-PD2-016

Try this hopefully you can replace both your cap and rotor.

-Mike

1988starter
02-08-2003, 05:08 PM
I used gasket maker

carotman
02-08-2003, 07:26 PM
If the cap sayd TEC, then you have a TEC distributor.

Do you have a digital Camera or have access to it? We may be able to check this out here in the tech forum.

The TEC distributor is indeed round with a square part (the Hitachi is all round)

You could always send me a PM so we can talk about this. Like I said in another post, I live close to Montreal (I'm on the south shore)

Lester Lugnut
02-08-2003, 08:55 PM
Two different mfg's made distributors/components for the 3-g cars:

Hitachi & Toyo Denso(sometimes kown as TEC).

The Hitachi cap has traditional numbers stamped on each cyl. stem that's on the cap. Looking across the top of the cap you will see -> 4 2 1 3.

The Toyo Denso caps have small straight lines much like Roman numerals on each cyl. stem. Looking across the top of these caps you will see -> ll ll ll l lll

If you bought after-market, there's no telling what kind of marks are on the cap.

What I just described is genuine Honda.

montreal
02-09-2003, 03:57 AM
I've got a digital camera, so I'll take some pics of the cap and rotor that I have, but I have to wait until tomorrow (at the earliest).

I left them at the Honda dealer's part department so they could try to find a replacement. I didn't make it on time before they closed on Friday to get them back and they're closed for the weekend. However, seems to me, if I recall correctly I've got the Roman numerals on mine.

njpeter
02-09-2003, 05:37 AM
DO NOT know about the two differnt distributor types..I had major problems when I didn't take the old cap with me to the store.....but it seems in the last couple of years, they are now asking "tek or hitachi" I HATE mid year model changes...same crap with my van...I neded brake pads and had to check if it was "early or late 87"..all in the name of "progress"

montreal
02-10-2003, 04:03 PM
Well, I won't need to take a picture of the old cap & rotor now (unless you guys want to see it anyways). I got the old cap & rotor back from the Honda dealer and went to a small privately owned auto parts store. It only took them about five minutes to find me the correct cap & rotor.

They looked up parts for an 88 PRELUDE!!!! Yes, the Tec cap & rotor for an 88 Prelude fit! (Well, at least they look like they do. As soon as we have some nice weather and/or I get rid of this d@mn cold I'm going to install them and find out!)

carotman
02-10-2003, 05:43 PM
You might have the distributor from a B20A3 engine(88 prelude SOHC). They look like they should fit.