PDA

View Full Version : crx lip plastic filler?

AccordChemist
05-24-2002, 08:40 PM
im finnaly gonna get off my ass and finish my crx lip but i checked all the auto parts stores and they dont have any plastic filler so i can fill all the joints....so where can i get some plastic filler at?

Jims 86LXI HB
05-25-2002, 01:54 AM
Ya know I bought a lip off of HondaSi88. And It need's allot of filler work, so I'm in the same boat. I figured I'd just go to a automotive paint supply place and pick some up their. I've got a place like that here in town where I live, real nice people to.:)

YK86
05-25-2002, 03:35 AM
The stuff I used was called Poly-flex made by Evercoat. You mix and use it just like bondo.

Jims 86LXI HB
05-25-2002, 09:10 AM
Poly-flex, cool thanks man:super:

AccordChemist
05-25-2002, 11:52 AM
where can i get poly-flex?

89AccordNate
05-25-2002, 12:52 PM
Screw plastic filler! I used bondo 'lightweight body filler' and it worked just as good as anything else...(but I also fiberglassd the joints first so maybe thats why it stuck so well). But, I dont think that bondo is such abad thing, I cleaned the surface really well with paint prep first, and then applied it........can you find the seams?! I didnt think so:

http://89accord.0catch.com/frontlip.jpg

Nate.

Jims 86LXI HB
05-25-2002, 06:35 PM
can you find the seams?! I didnt think so:

Ya so,......:rolleyes: What does a lip spoiler fear the most? Kissing the ground, wanna guess which product will hold up better? Of course bondo would work. And I'm sure it's easier to work with. But it's not the thing to use on something that's flexible like this.
Yes nate you don't have seams, god job in that respect:D

damackz
05-25-2002, 07:29 PM
on my spoiler i used the Evercoat Kitty Hair which is really strong stuff, it's filler with strands of Fibreglass which reinforces it. Then i used a fine coat of regular BONDO to make it even stronger so that might be a route u wanna take. My spoiler is an OEM 2001 Celica spoiler so when i put it on my car it didn't sit right due to the difference in body design so i raised it 2 inches. :pimp:

Gregs89AccordLxi
05-26-2002, 12:19 AM
Hey i just got myself a crx lip at the junkyard :), where did you guys make the cuts to extend the lip, i was thinking of cutting it in the middle and adding a piece there but the side are short too...

AccordChemist
05-26-2002, 09:42 AM
first you have to have 2 crx lips, then you have to extend the side a couple inches and extend the front a few inches....

i still cant find this polyflex stuff....(locally, i found it on the net but i dont have time to order it)

killerb09
05-28-2002, 07:30 AM
well the bondo won't hold up on the plastic once it gets cold out....but maybe you live in a place where it doesn't get below 0

I can show you spots on my car where I tried to fill in plastice areas with bonda and now it's peeling away from it....

we all know that Bondo is rigid in all temps adn plastic expands and contracts a fair amount with weather....

definilty get the plastic filler stuff...

Jims 86LXI HB
05-28-2002, 10:15 AM
Bondo (the company) makes a flexible bumper filler product. But how you would use it and get it smooth might be another story. It's $17 at kragen autoparts.

AccordChemist
05-28-2002, 02:26 PM
yay! i finnaly got some poly-flex by evercoat. there is a autobody supply place down the road from my house and they have everything. it cost $16 for a big tub and hardener.

Jim, if you cant find any poly-flex i can get ya some and ship it to you, you pay $16 + shipping of course...

Jims 86LXI HB
05-28-2002, 07:52 PM
Ok mike. I still haven't checked my local auto paint supply house yet though.

Gregs89AccordLxi
05-29-2002, 12:28 AM
Well i finished my crx lip today, its mounted and looks good. Its not as clean looking as nates, you can kinda see the seams :( , I dunno how you guys usually put these together but i melted my pieces together and used bondo to cover the seams, man I didnt think by putting a crx lip it would make a big difference it looks :super:

89AccordNate
05-29-2002, 06:46 AM
I fiberglassed my seams together, and then sanded those with a dremel tool, and then smoothed it all out with bondo. Then sanded it for a few more hours.....the amount of time you put into it is how good the final product comes out. I put Know 8 hours into mine.

Nate.