PDA

View Full Version : clutch pedal survey

diego_89accordlx
02-08-2003, 10:56 PM
where is you pedal at when the clutch starts to catch. mines' amlost all the way up before it cathces.

Jareds 89 LX-i
02-09-2003, 12:16 AM
About half way up it grabs, and that's with 311k on original clutch with ~1 inch of pedal freeplay. Not bad, eh? :D

If yours is grabbing way at the top, first thing to do is check and adjust the clutch cable so you have the proper pedal freeplay (about 1 inch). If that's not it, then it's clutch time! FUN, FUN! :rolleyes:

BoredRec
02-09-2003, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by Jareds 89 LX-i
About half way up it grabs, and that's with 311k on original clutch with ~1 inch of pedal freeplay. Not bad, eh? :D

If yours is grabbing way at the top, first thing to do is check and adjust the clutch cable so you have the proper pedal freeplay (about 1 inch). If that's not it, then it's clutch time! FUN, FUN! :rolleyes:

311k?? is that miles or kilometers?! Do you NOT go about 2k RPM? :flip: I guess maybe I'm just way too abusive on my clutch.

Jareds 89 LX-i
02-09-2003, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by BoredRec
311k?? is that miles or kilometers?! Do you NOT go about 2k RPM? :flip: I guess maybe I'm just way too abusive on my clutch.
That's in miles. I only go up to just above idle, to about 1100 or so, and take it easy until I get rolling. Amazing how long these things last when you treat them right!

BoredRec
02-09-2003, 08:02 AM
That's in miles. I only go up to just above idle, to about 1100 or so, and take it easy until I get rolling. Amazing how long these things last when you treat them right!

Yeah, yeah, but that's no FUN! I love pushing my car as hard as it goes. It just sux that the stock clutch has no tolerance to heat...one burn out and it slips for a half hour.

johndej
02-09-2003, 10:04 AM
i gave my clutch a working when i first got my 3g. A it was my 1st car, B my dad made me learn clutch on it. so it got beat for a while. oh well, its got 145K on it now and works good for me.

87accordlxph
02-09-2003, 10:07 AM

Holy! :huh: you only rev up to 1100 rpm then shift? Doesn't that put stress on your tranny? I feel the stress on both the engine and tranny when I shift wayyyy below the recommended rev limit and that's at 3000 rpm. Tell me you never had tranny probs man?
Do you get a lot of people who honk at ya cause your not moving hardly at all from standing still?
When I lived in KY, people freekin honked if I didn't take off 1 sec after the traffic light turned green!!! Man I got so pissed that I just dumped it sometimes. I know.... that's BAD on the clutch but shit I hate that!

Anyway, it is time for a new clutch for me.

BTW, Since you still have your original clutch gimme some advice here please if you don't mind. When your stopped at the traffic light, do you hold down the clutch and have it in first ready to go or do you put it in neutral and just hold down the brake and don't hold down the clutch.

Thanks,

-Mike

dXsquared
02-09-2003, 11:35 AM
it is best for the relese bearing to put it into N and sit with the brakes... when the light turns red on the side of the intersection, put it into 1 and get ready to roll... i think he is sayin that he revs to 1100 then gets going... its a skill to be able to do that... i have to go to at least 1700 to get it goin... it tries to stall if not... but my dad can do it... just have to feather the clutch

Travis

dosh8er
02-09-2003, 08:46 PM
it's not good to 'feather' the clutch, or as my old man calls it, 'riding' it. It's better to just get your rpm's up and let it out, and get going. Not dumping it and peeling out, but not leaving your foot on the clutch for a long time.

Think of it in terms of friction. Dump it, and BAM! Stress on final drive / trans parts. But, let it out slooowwwwlly like a girl, and you are just holding that clutch disc out against that flywheel, and letting them rub and rub like sandpaper to a block of wood. Just get it over with!
push in, shift, let out, GO!

I also agree that you should put it in N when you're at a light and just use the brake. That is, unless you're on a hill, in the icy michigan winter, and you got some jackass riding your ass in a lexus.

:rolleyes: I hate those type of people!

Oh yeah.. that's right.. pedal. I replaced my clutch about a year ago, and I've got about an inch or so. No matter how much I try to adjust, that's where it works best.

Jims 86LXI HB
02-09-2003, 10:12 PM
Hmmm, been over 6 months since the wreck, but I'm positive my clutch engaged on the last 20% of travel comming up. Over all the relationship between clutch/throttle/shifter was excellent, better than allot of other car's I"ve driven. Yes the shifter felt loose and vague, but the act of clicking off quick smooth shifts was excellent. Frankly, only the Acura integra GSR is better, IHO.

And I think my 3g was better in respect to the above than these cars, that I've test driven or just driven in the last year.
350Z
WRX
RSX
GTI VR6 6sp
93 prelude
2001 prelude
1996 accord
1991 accord
1996 firebird
2001 BMW 328I

Jareds 89 LX-i
02-09-2003, 10:19 PM
:lol Hahah...yea I meant when I start from a stop, only going up to 1100. During regular shifting I usually go up to 3500-4500, so no I usually don't get any honks, lol. I'm like an anti-clutch-slippage freakhead, so I know not to slip or 'ride' the clutch. Really even at the low RPM's it's still got enough pull to pretty much take off on it's own when you just let the clutch out quick. I don't feather it at all, just let it out and hit the gas a lil bit. Starts out a little slow, but then after the pedal is fully released, off we go! Must be all that EFI powa!! :lol

And yes, like DX said, when you're sitting at a stoplight or anytime you're not changing gears, you should NOT have the clutch pushed in. It will indeed ruin your throwout bearing rather fast. My sister test drove a Mazda once that she was thinking about buying, and the old lady that owned it had gone through 3 clutches doing exactly that (sitting with pedal in). Plus it makes your foot sore!