PDA

View Full Version : Need input guys , 1985 Accord LX

Leadpepper
04-09-2017, 04:37 AM
Found this Honda pristine really for 33 years old, 1st project, 1st problem, searched high and low for every part needed to completely replace suspension, hopefully found Most but can't find all to build totally new strut assembly, Am I throwing good money after bad trying to completely restore this ? Or are the complete list of strut parts a unique part problem, I mean five years from now I need a timing belt and all I'll find is discontinued ?

tof
04-17-2017, 06:56 PM
Well, like you I am struggling to find OEM parts for my 79. But its a toy, not a daily so I can be patient.

I have noticed that there is still pretty good support out there for the 2G Accords, as long as you can live with aftermarket stuff like shocks, struts, filters, pumps, starters, alternators, etc. etc. So keeping the car on the road for another decade really shouldn't be all that bad. Keeping it all OEM is probably not realistic. I'm sure you are already seeing almost as many NLA OEM parts as I do with my 1G.

Leadpepper
04-18-2017, 05:01 AM
Your right ! The Honda mechanic was telling me there's a lot of things that interchange but not in advance auto computers due to rarity and age, cosmetic parts are really the biggies right now, Don't think these cars will ever have any monetary collector value due to this, 1971 Ford Torino parts are still plentiful and will remain it seems

senor honda
04-18-2017, 07:19 AM
No collector value.
Take the cosmetic part to a junkyard and find something that fits....even if you have to drill a few holes or make
some brackets.

Best bracket material is electrical conduit flattened with a hammer and bent as needed.
Already galvanized, rust resistant.

senor honda
04-18-2017, 07:25 AM
Restoring won't increase the value.
My suspension struts are Kokico Blues.
Bushings from Auto parts store.

Sometimes you can buy the part new with a new bushing or new ball joint.

To accommodate lowered front end upper ball joints, I used prelude ball joints and modified them to compensate for
front end lowering.