PDA

View Full Version : Pin Striping

xbi0s
02-09-2003, 02:25 PM
The pin striping on my car is all like patchy and I tried using a hair drier to heat it up and rub off but it doesnt seem to work

Any ideas?

89AccordNate
02-09-2003, 04:19 PM
You will need to use your finger nail. There is nothing that I have found that works as well. They do make a small pad (I think scotch makes it) that fits on a drill and is made to take off your pin striping. I would go into an auto detailing place or something like that, buy something small and ask them how to do it. Since you're purchasing off of them, you wont look like such a leecher.

Nate.

Nate2310
02-09-2003, 04:21 PM
I took a hair dryer and heated it up then took it off with a plastic razor. It worked extremely well and fast. I got the razor at napa.

88 Accord DX
02-09-2003, 04:31 PM
im with nate (the real one) on this one. you dont wanna use anything that will put your paint in danger. sure it will take a while and you will have to clean your nails afterwards but its better than having scratches all down the side of the car.

Nate2310
02-09-2003, 05:38 PM
a PLASTIC razor does absolutly no damage to the paint and it works a lot better than your finger nail

slammedLXI
02-09-2003, 09:25 PM
my pinstriping is painted on... sucks, its so gay

Mike89Accordcom
02-09-2003, 09:40 PM
I'm with myself on this. I have several heat guns at work, that we use for shrinkwrapping stuff. I took one of those home, it worked but I prefered using my fingernails. Nothing worked better. Took me couple hours to get it all off. When I was done I washed and waxed the car. Still a line there, barely could see it, being that its a white car. Then had the paintjob and away it went. I think our cars look cleaner without them. Just grow your nails out and peel that stripe man.

Grant2k
02-10-2003, 07:17 AM
i was going to try rubbing compound with a machanical buffer this summer. but i guess that won't work from what i'm hearing.

DBMaster
02-10-2003, 08:00 AM
I actually used a metal razor blade on mine. If you are very careful you can slide it just under the vinyl, leaving the adhesive on the car. You can then use mineral spirits or naptha to scrub off the adhesive without damaging your paint.

I have never seen a plastic razor blade, but that sounds a lot less risky than my method.

89accord_lxi_coupe
02-10-2003, 02:33 PM
i wouldn't mind taking off my pin stripes either. when you take them off, if it leaves a little line as mr89accordlxi reffered to, can you take touch up paint that matches your color and lightly cover it? would you recommend that, i wont be getting a paint job for a while. what do you think?

MrBen
02-10-2003, 05:03 PM
If it is painted on use GS27 crap. You know. That paint scratch remover. I just rubbed it on and it came right off, look like nothing was ever there.

Micah 89LXi
02-11-2003, 01:10 AM
so a plastic razor has a plastic blade instead of a metal one..i go to auto shops all the time ive never seen one..maybe i need to ask..im def getting rid of my pinstriping..i need winter to be over so i can do some more work on my car..this snow is killing me

Micah 89LXi
02-11-2003, 01:13 AM
I have this odd giant scratch across my hood but its like hard to describe its like under the clear coat where the paint is..well what clear coat i have left..very dull paint right now...im wondering if that scratch remover would help...i need to either repaint the hood or do something with it..it looks terrible with that huge mark

Grant2k
02-11-2003, 07:38 AM
try rubbing compound.

DBMaster
02-11-2003, 08:01 AM
My car is white and I removed the dealer applied vinyl pin stripes when it was about four years old. There was a faint appearance of them when I was done, but not very visible. Now that it is almost ten years later I doubt you could tell they were ever there. With a dark colored car you may have problems with being able to see where they were, but it's probably still better than leaving them on. I think pin stripes are a throwback to the 70's and 80's that a lot of us just got stuck with because car buyers still thought they were "neat." They just don't look at home now with all the monochrome paint schemes out there.

Grant2k
02-11-2003, 08:16 AM
well a lot of cars still come with pin stipes, espacially accords. i actually thought about trying to get the new Honda pin stipe with the little honda emblem in the front fender. i think if they are subtle they look good.

loco87
02-11-2003, 09:59 AM
use carb cleaner, it will come right off.

MrBen
02-11-2003, 01:07 PM
Micah, try the scratch remover crap (GS27) in a small spot and see what it does. If nothing else it may make it a bit less obvious. I know I used it around my locks and on my hood on small scratches and it did wonders.

racingsoloII
02-15-2003, 01:38 PM
I did mine last year and used rubbing alchohol to soften the glue then pulled the stripe off with a thumb nail then used more rubbing alchohol to take off the glue , it wont damage the paint and it is alot cheaper than comercial adhesive removers like bull dog or stickershock. although I did have to buff my car afterwards , because the pins had been on there for twelve years and the sun had faided the rest of the paint
p