PDA

View Full Version : clicking sound from right rotor when stopping

Chrome_thangs
05-25-2002, 01:20 AM
I've noticed that when i push the brakes sometimes there's a clicking sound on the right front side sort of like the caliper is slapping the brake pad on the rotor. What is causing this? is my caliper bad? I've also noticed that same side wears the inside pad out quick like twice as fast as the left.

shepherd79
05-25-2002, 05:12 AM
Originally posted by Chrome_thangs
I've also noticed that same side wears the inside pad out quick like twice as fast as the left.

i have the same problem, inside pads are wears out twice faster than outside ones on both sides.
what can cause that?
is it normal? i always assume it is normal.
thanks

guaynabo89
05-25-2002, 07:25 AM
No thats not normal. If you know how take your calipers out . Take them apart and clean and lube the sliders.

You probably have dirt in there keeping your calipers from moving right. Thats whats probably causing your uneven pad wear and strange clicking noise.

ACCORD EX
05-25-2002, 08:40 AM
may be there is air in the right side ! bleed it ! :)

MIKE

OldSchoolSwap
05-25-2002, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by ACCORD EX
may be there is air in the right side ! bleed it ! :)

MIKE
No, air will not cause uneven wear. A defective calliper will. Its cheaper to replace it rather than attemting to fix it. It runs about $25 in an auto store.

ACCORD EX
05-25-2002, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by OldSchoolSwap

No, air will not cause uneven wear. A defective calliper will. Its cheaper to replace it rather than attemting to fix it. It runs about $25 in an auto store.

won't air make a caliper weaker than the other !

thnx a lot oldschool ! :)

MIKE

Dutchboy
05-25-2002, 12:55 PM
Just had the same problem....both calipers were seized in the sliders.....got new calipers ($50) each i did both..its recomeneded to do both sides at the same time...rotors ($30) and brake pads..($40).....all these prices in canadian.....costs a bit but youll find that you can stop a hell alot better after...:D

Took me 1.5hrs to do all the change over includung jacking to finish...isnt hard to change...just make sure that you take one side of at a time and look how the old ones are put on and then gravity bleed them and you should be good..

ANy questions email.me..
Hope this helps.
Ben

Chrome_thangs
05-25-2002, 03:38 PM
How do i bleed my brakes?:confused: :confused:

ACCORD EX
05-25-2002, 11:02 PM
How do i bleed my brakes?:confused: :confused:

it means getting air out of the system !

1.first take the wheel off !
2. you'll find an air bleed screw on the caliper
3. ask someone to press the brake pedal several times to raaise the presure in the system !
4. attach a hose on it to a small amount of brake fluid .
5 unbolt the bleed screw ( just a little ) while your friend is pumping the brake pedal !
6. do that until you notice there are no air pupples in that hose !
7. screw back the screw .
8. add brake to master cylinder if it's low !

that's it !

BTW i am not sure that this will solve your problem !
take care when unscrewing the bleed bolt ! don't break it , use WD40 if it is so hard to turn !

good luck !

MIKE

OldSchoolSwap
05-26-2002, 10:18 AM

won't air make a caliper weaker than the other !

thnx a lot oldschool ! :)

MIKE
Yes it will, It'll make one caliper brake harder than the other and yes it'll make one rotor wear its pads faster.

HOWEVER If one rotor is wearing one pad more than the other, then thats caliper that is locking up, air in the lines will not cause uneven pad wear, a bad caliper will. ;)

ACCORD EX
05-26-2002, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by OldSchoolSwap

Yes it will, It'll make one caliper brake harder than the other and yes it'll make one rotor wear its pads faster.

HOWEVER If one rotor is wearing one pad more than the other, then thats caliper that is locking up, air in the lines will not cause uneven pad wear, a bad caliper will. ;)

thnx a lot man ! now i really get it ! :super: :D

MIKE

OldSchoolSwap
05-26-2002, 02:31 PM

thnx a lot man ! now i really get it ! :super: :D

MIKE

Your welcome,
Thats what we're here for ;) :)

Chrome_thangs
05-26-2002, 04:58 PM
So, i need a new caliper? Can i just do one side. I'm preety sure the problem is on that side.

OldSchoolSwap
05-27-2002, 08:56 AM
So, i need a new caliper? Can i just do one side. I'm preety sure the problem is on that side.
Yes, you can do one side. However for an extra $20-$25 you might as well get the other side too.
Its just like buying shoes, its always rocomended to buy the pair:D

No but seriously, if the other side looks in real good condition, then you don't have to buy it. Check the rubber seal, if thats ripped, then buy a new one.

Chrome_thangs
05-27-2002, 09:46 PM
Thanks man!:D

Afrosheen
05-27-2002, 10:58 PM
A good thing for bleeding brakes is an enema bag. Don't ask how I know this, I just found one laying around the house one day and though it'd be suitable. The hose part will fit the bleed screw perfectly and you can hang the bag from your open hood. This allows for a good gravity flow (hell that's what it's designed for in reverse) and will keep everything clean. Plus you can use it again sometime if you get constipated or old, or want to do more brake work.