PDA

View Full Version : tiptronic

Accordie
02-09-2003, 05:48 PM
Is it possible to install a tiptronic gear box for the 3g?

dXsquared
02-09-2003, 06:03 PM
no way!

Travis

:D-LUDE
02-09-2003, 06:27 PM
Any things possible if you have the$$$$. Why would you want tiptronic for?

Coitis1
02-09-2003, 06:58 PM
lol, that would be sweet.

88WhiteLX-i
02-09-2003, 07:17 PM
LOL. You'll spend so much fucking money that you might as well buy the fucking car that has it in the first place.

Jims 86LXI HB
02-09-2003, 07:25 PM
Tiptronic transmissions are nothing more than a automatic that some smart manuel controls. For a manuel trans purist, they are NO subsitute. They will not allow you to heal and toe and none of them will allow you to grab a lower gear at higher rpm's to power out of corner's. By the time they will go to the lower gear, the rev's are to low in that gear to do anything for you. I have driven these tiptronic systems, Acura, BMW, VW, Ininiti, and Chrysler. If you a automatic person, their fine.

In my mind, tiptronic's have NEVER delivered what I they promised.

88WhiteLX-i
02-09-2003, 07:27 PM
So in that case just get a manual conversion or get a car that already has one!!

Accordie
02-10-2003, 01:15 AM
I just thought it would be a pretty good way to control a vtec using automatic transmission. Cause i realised my friends 5th gen Prelude had the tiptronic gearbox for his h22a engine and then he had a run with the same prelude that was manual and the power outcome was similar for both cars were equal length. I just thought it looked pretty fun to drive. Anyways thanks for the replies.

shepherd79
02-10-2003, 04:15 AM
i would say that tiptropic is very good strat for some one who doesn't know how to drive 5 speed. it may be not a 5 speed but at least you can change gears faster with it.
i drove 2002 eclipse with one, it has 4 gears and they all long gears, so it was kind fun-nofun to drive.

A20A1
02-10-2003, 04:32 AM
Hehe I manually shift the stock auto allt he time... problem is you can't get first gear on demand... and if you try and lock the TV lever at maximum tavel to keep it in first, you'll put major stress on the trans because it won't shift to a higher gear when you're driving around normally.
And if you lock it in a lower postion first gear will shift always at 3,000 - 4,000 but as you increase speed and manualy shift from second to third to fourth you'll notice the trans begins to bog... I suppose it's because the TV lever must controll some of the fluid transfer or gearing?

Jims 86LXI HB
02-10-2003, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by Accordie
I just thought it would be a pretty good way to control a vtec using automatic transmission. Cause i realised my friends 5th gen Prelude had the tiptronic gearbox for his h22a engine and then he had a run with the same prelude that was manual and the power outcome was similar for both cars were equal length. I just thought it looked pretty fun to drive. Anyways thanks for the replies.

That reminds me, I've driven that same car and transmission. It to has all the short commings that I mentioned in the above post.