PDA

View Full Version : HOW TO.........Master Cylinder?!?

Chrome_thangs
05-25-2002, 01:30 AM
My master cylinder is shot to hell. I'm wanting to do the repair myself. How difficult of a job is it, i was looking at it and all i see holding it on is two bolts. Also, are the two brake lines hard to come off? My look kinda rusty, will a lubricant (WD-40, PB Blaster)help? Do i have to bleed something afterwards? If so, what and how

THanks

OldSchoolSwap
05-25-2002, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by Chrome_thangs
My master cylinder is shot to hell. I'm wanting to do the repair myself. How difficult of a job is it, i was looking at it and all i see holding it on is two bolts. Also, are the two brake lines hard to come off? My look kinda rusty, will a lubricant (WD-40, PB Blaster)help? Do i have to bleed something afterwards? If so, what and how

THanks

Have a qualified technitian do the job some of the screws on brake systems can verry easly strip. Special tools are required.

Or if your really hard headed, buy a Haynes manual;)

Maydnaella
05-25-2002, 01:00 PM
i just had mine replaced yesterday and now I need to do the booster diaphram :angry:

But labor was only about $80.

1988starter
05-25-2002, 01:22 PM
try to find a qualifyed member in your area that can do it for free or buy a manual to help you... I have ever done it my self so I don't know how tough the booster is to replace. Shop around look for the best price.

carotman
05-25-2002, 01:30 PM
The booster is easy to replace. 30 mins and you're done.

All that needs to be done is:

1: remove the cotter put on the brake pedal
2: remove the 4 screws that hold it in place (behind the pedals)
3: unbolt the master cyl, (2 screws)
4: unplug the big vacuum line going to the booster
5: take the booster out of the car
6: put the new booster in
--------
7: replug the big vacuum line
8: rebolt the master cyl
9: reinstall the 4 screws behind the pedals
10: reinstall the cotter pin
11: enjoy a beer
12: enjoy another beer
13: go drive (oh wait, that should be on number 11)

smufguy
06-08-2002, 08:39 AM
bleed the brakes before u do it and also use WD40 on your wish. get some good noslip wrenches and like carotman said its easy as a breeze. only two brake lines to from the master cylinder/booster. Once u take off the cotter pin/clip from the brake pedal u will find urself moving the piston and the whole booster moves. so get a replacement (a good one) and its good as new.

watch out for air pockets in your system when u finish everthin up.