PDA

View Full Version : What have I done??

1987HondaAccord
02-09-2003, 07:10 PM
I was installing some plugs the other day, and i think i f***** myself. one of the plugs wouldnt go in and I tried forcing it a little. I didnt realize i was doing any damage until I thought ":wtf: maybe im not doing this right". I took it out and some of the threads in the head were messed up. I tried it again with no more luck. I finally put it in (but it doesn't look like its all the way in) and tightened it down a little. It starts and runs ok, but it doesnt feel as powerful anymore. What have I done???:mad: Have I messed her up for ever? or can i sort of use a tap and die set to clean up the threads?? I cant believe I did this...:burn: :help::banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

I just hope these a fix other than a new head...

88WhiteLX-i
02-09-2003, 07:16 PM
That's why you ALWAYS hand tighten everything first before you torque the shit!!! YOu wanna make sure that the threads are lining up.... I think the only way to fix your problem is to re-tap the hole but you might have to pull your head off to do it.

88 Accord DX
02-09-2003, 07:23 PM
dang man that sucks. oh well now you know. you learn from your mistakes.

BoredRec
02-09-2003, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by 88WhiteLX-i
That's why you ALWAYS hand tighten everything first before you torque the shit!!! YOu wanna make sure that the threads are lining up.... I think the only way to fix your problem is to re-tap the hole but you might have to pull your head off to do it.

You shouldn't have to take the head off to re-tap it, but it does take a little finess. You might wanna have a professional do it, cuz if you fuck up trying to re-tap it, then you be hating life.

Jareds 89 LX-i
02-09-2003, 11:27 PM
Heli-coil is your friend :) I'd have a pro do it though...it's too easy to get metal shavings down into your cylinders, which can mess up your engine. I've never done it myself, but my sister had to have that done on her old Mazda and then mechanic got it done in about 30-45 minutes

AZmike
02-09-2003, 11:38 PM
How do they keep the metal shavings out of the cylinder?

79EK1
02-10-2003, 01:12 AM
Try a spark plug thread restoring tool first. It looks like a tap, and has two sizes, one on each end, depending on the plug. It pushes the threads back into position, rather than cutting metal. You can do this with the head on, and you'll find them at the local parts store. If the threads are totally gone, the head willl have to come off to install the Heli-Coli insert.

The plug should run all the way in by hand, if not, stop and see what's wrong. If your engine runs rich, or burns oil, clean the threads occassionally with the thread tool. A little anti-seize compound goes a long way in protecting the threads in an aluminum head. Good luck.

cruznz
02-10-2003, 01:58 AM
here in NZ we call what 79EK1 described ,as a thread chaser.....it does look like a tap....use grease on it to hold all the shit on it as you thread it in and the dirt and crap wont drop into the cylinder