PDA

View Full Version : Fuel pump only runs for 1 second,

jim89
04-27-2017, 12:07 PM
Hi All,
'89 Accord DX ( carb) automatic, original owner, 70,000 mi.

I don't drive the car everyday, if I did it would start up just fine. So when I start it I have to turn the switch to on 20 to 30 times, I can clearly
hear the fuel pump start but it only lasts for a second, if that.
What I've done recently, changed the fuel relay ( under the dash), changed the ignition starter switch and today changed both fuel filters and the pump.
The new pump sounds like the old pump, comes on for a second............. it took about 50 to 60 turns to get gas to the carb and it
does not help to crank the engine.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

FYI, the strainer at the bottom of the pump was gone ... after 28yrs, who knows , :)

Brooksaaron
04-27-2017, 12:10 PM
You've done everything I would think to do & stuff I wouldn't think of. I guess bad wiring between starter switch & pump telling pump to turn on?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Brooksaaron
04-27-2017, 12:14 PM
In my '87 (injected) there is a fuel pump fuse under the hood. If yours is similar, couldn't hurt to swap it out for a new one, & clean up the slot. Poke around in there for debris, corrosion etc.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

2oodoor
04-27-2017, 12:39 PM
You're only going to hear it one second during cranking thats normal. Is there no gas getting to the carb? Check the filters one on the left rear up by the rear control arm beside the tank, another under the hood somewhere around the line as it comes up the firewall driver side very low corner closest to upper fender.

jim89
04-27-2017, 12:58 PM
Thanks for the replies, It eventually does start it's just that it takes all of that to get the fuel up to the carb. Is there a difference between "start" and "run "
once the engine is running then I am assuming the pump runs all the time ? I read somewhere if you're in an accident, the engine dies but the
ignition is still on, something shuts off the pump after a minute or so.

Dr_Snooz
04-29-2017, 01:43 PM
I would be looking at fuel bleeding off on the carburetor side somehow. Do you have a leaky float? Or possibly you are driving it so infrequently that the fuel in the bowls is evaporating completely?

jim89
04-29-2017, 03:05 PM
Evaporating ??? It rarely gets over 125F here. Looks like a carb rebuild is in the future or a Webber. Thanx

Dr_Snooz
05-01-2017, 08:57 PM
LOL. I guess we found the problem.

Oldblueaccord
05-03-2017, 06:20 AM
New carb wont fix a fuel pump that wont pump or wont pump enough volume.

You can measure a pumps flow into a PLASTIC bucket times for one minute.

You can find out if the safe relay is really working or not. On the EFI cars its looking for spark from the coil to prove the car is running,negative side of the coil I believe.