PDA

View Full Version : A20A1 performance options

MiniStockAccord
04-27-2017, 10:57 PM
Hello all... I have a 1989 Honda Accord Mini Stock race car with a carbed A20A1 engine and automatic transmission. Our rules state the engine has to be "stock" and rebuilt using "stock" parts. No VTEC allowed, I don't know if Type R/JDM type parts are even made for this motor or even the suspension, but being they are made by Honda, I'm sure it could squeak by. I have a brand new stock carb on a spacer with a high flow air filter in the stock housing. Stock ignition and exhaust manifold, etc. I was interested in seeing if they have any high output coils and spark plug wires for these motors... I was also planning on swapping a 4-2-1 exhaust manifold from the 88-89 LXi fuel injected engines. I also plan on adding a Weber carb and pretty much call it a day, possibly send out the cam to Bullet cams to be reground, but other than that, that would be it... as far as motors go, are the carbed motors hard to find? I heard I could get a shortblock or complete engine from the early fuel injected Accords and swap my carbed head onto that block... My last question is how hard are the heads to find? I'd like to get a couple for spares. Thanks for any insight! I did a quick search but figured I'd ask because I am not allowed by rules to use obvious performance enhancing devices such as headers, fuel injection swap, etc. I have to be creative in the quest for more power, but it dosnt even have to be more power, it could even be better throttle response or driveability.
The current mods to the drivetrain are as follows:
New stock carb with spacer
K&N air filter with ram air tube
2 1/4 inch catless exhaust
100 LL AvGas

Other odds and ends:
Car weighs 2000lbs
Has 195/60/14 Falken Azenis on Bassett racing wheels
Pipe bumpers
Downbars on cage connect to rear strut area
Electric fuel pump
Fuel cell
Mechanical oil pressure and water temp guages
Car has rear steer

Shane86
04-28-2017, 12:16 AM
Not too much of a market for performance parts for these cars. You might be able to rebuild the engine with ARP head studs bisimoto heat-treated valve springs, thermal intake manifold gasket ,10 millimeter plug wires Blaster coil

MiniStockAccord
04-28-2017, 09:23 PM
Not too much of a market for performance parts for these cars. You might be able to rebuild the engine with ARP head studs bisimoto heat-treated valve springs, thermal intake manifold gasket ,10 millimeter plug wires Blaster coil

I was gonna get new plugs and some Taylor 8mm or 9mm wires... My stock coil is up by the right front firewall... it looks kind of oddball... how can i install a Blaster coil on this car?

Shane86
04-29-2017, 01:50 AM
Check out the how-to section

MiniStockAccord
04-30-2017, 01:55 PM
What part number coil are you running?

Shane86
04-30-2017, 02:04 PM
I believe it's Blaster coil 2 part number 8202