PDA

View Full Version : looking at used 15 inch subs

danronian
02-09-2003, 09:29 PM
Since my last thread, "hooking up a sub to a stock head unit", I have bought and installed a 200W 2-channel (bridgeable) optimus amp which I bought at a pawn shop for $50. We tested it on a $100 kicker sub and it sounded perfect so I figured it would power whatever junk speaker my friend was going to give me. We then installed it with a 500w max install kit from walmart ($20), with a Line Out Converter ($20) which I bought from pep-boys. We then tested two subs at his house that I was going to use and both were seized so now I am forced to buy a new(from the pawn shop) one for the 15" box he gave me. I just wanted to get some opinions on what brand 15" sub I should buy. Since this pawn shop I go to has many brands of subs almost all of which under $50 I do have a fairly large selection. Should I get a sub with dual voice coils?, and if so or not so, what brand?

Also one more thing: Do I just splice the remote wire from the sub to the remote wire that is in the plug in the back of the stock stereo?
And another: When I have my car in neutral(5 spd) and have the heater blower on high the car runs a little rough and the rpms drop, if I turn the fan off, the idle becomes slightly smoother. This was all noticed much before I installed the amp. Does anyone forsee a problem with this and a soon to be mounted amp, or am I just worrying to much?

87DXHatch
02-11-2003, 10:23 AM
Do you have to go with a 15"? From the looks of what you want (a cheap system, nothing spectacular) all the 15's in your price range are ones that would probably sound "sloppy" in your friend's 15" box... tell me what brands of 15's they have and I could help you with a decision.

As for dual voice coils or not, try to get a configuration that is either Dual 2 ohm coils, or 1 4 ohm coil because I'll be willing to bet that the Optimus amp puts out the most power RMS at 4 ohms bridged. You want to present the amp with a 4 ohm load from the sub.

Yes, you splice the wire back, it's very simple.

I don't understand what you are worrying about... that your idle will become rougher when you're playing music? 200 watts (if it's even putting out that) will have little effect on your car electrical systems, because it's only pulling 200 watts when you have it going full-tilt.

AccordEpicenter
02-11-2003, 09:24 PM
my car only dimmed when i passed well over the 400w mark, so you should be fine. Ive heard 15s and some sound sloppy but alot of it has to do with ur box. A small sealed 15 box shouldnt be too sloppy. With all my speakers, the more power i put to em, the tighter they sounded...