PDA

View Full Version : smells like gas under hood

Scotts88WhiteLX-i
02-09-2003, 11:28 PM
My car smells like gas under my hood:wtf: what does it mean? how do i fix it?

Jareds 89 LX-i
02-09-2003, 11:31 PM
Since you have an LX-i, more than likely it's leaky injectors. Are there some brownish spots on your intake manifold, right under the injectors? If so, your injectors are leaking and you need to get them fixed ASAP. Your engine could catch on fire if that's not taken care of!

Scotts88WhiteLX-i
02-09-2003, 11:33 PM
damn there are big spots under em!!!!!!!!! :eek: i thought it was oil from my valve cover cause it leaks..... I went out an looked real close an it looks like only one is leaking real bad the other just look dry....... how much will it cost an how did i fix it>?

Jareds 89 LX-i
02-09-2003, 11:51 PM
First place you may want to look is the junkyard for a lower mileage car, or one that looks like the injectors were replaced (clean). Sounds like yours are pretty bad, so you need something quick like that. There was an LX-i at the junkyard here a couple weeks ago with 68k miles on it, but I didn't see it last time I went, otherwise I'd grab them for ya.

Until then...a fire extinguisher (sp?) may be a wise investment. Even without leaky injectors...just a good idea to have one 'just in case'. I carry one in my trunk at all times

Scotts88WhiteLX-i
02-09-2003, 11:54 PM
damn its that bad of a problem...... it looks like only one is really bad cause the other look like there fine i just drove it before i looked an three are completly dry an one leaks.... Thanks i'll try to go to the junks yard tomarrow after school.... Tools needed?

Jareds 89 LX-i
02-10-2003, 12:16 AM
10mm socket and a small flathead screw screwdriver for the U clips on the injectors (don't lose those!), if I remember correctly is all you need. Take a few other tools anyways though just incase. Make sure the injectors at the junkyard don't look like they've been leaking...should probably get a couple incase one of the ones you get happens to leak also.

It is a pretty bad problem, regardless of severity. Gasoline is not something to play around with, because it will show no mercy. All it takes is one spark....

87DXHatch
02-10-2003, 12:40 PM
Hmm... 3 of my 4 injectors are leaky... hmm... maybe I should look into fixing them, hmm?

Immeraufdemhund
02-10-2003, 02:14 PM
hehe, in the sub artic place in Minnesota, just open your hood and the winds will take care of that.. (i came from Hibbing)