PDA

View Full Version : How to properly verify camshaft timing is correct

sona1111
05-06-2017, 10:27 AM
[[this is the last thread I am starting today, I promise -- exams are just finishing so I can start on car projects!]]

Hi All,

The 1989 accord LX automatic I have been working on runs ok, but often has a long dieseling problem when you shut it off (30-60 seconds often) and has some dull noises that sound like missing. While this could be caused by many things, I am already planning to swap to a weber carb so that should take care of most of any vac leak type of issues. The other immediate thing I can think of is that I swapped the timing belt when doing an engine swap prior, and it was the first time I had attempted it, so I could have messed something up slightly. I was wondering if there is a way to check if the timing belt could be off by a tooth? I have seen some general guides online but anything accord-specific would be appreciated.

Thanks much!

Oldblueaccord
05-06-2017, 11:51 PM
https://www.3geez.com/forum/3geez-accords/125563-changed-timing-belt-after-head-gasket-worried-timing-off.html?highlight=Timing+belt

here is a start.

2oodoor
05-09-2017, 03:19 PM
Pull all the plugs out while you are adjusting valve lash and cam timing, sooo much easier to turn the engine with a long handle broke neck 3/8 ratchet from the top. Make sure your line of sight level is with the head not anything else when you look at the cam marks. Flywheel mark is the engraved sideways T mark.