PDA

View Full Version : Bent Subframe

Immeraufdemhund
02-10-2003, 08:58 AM
I was driving here at East town mall and hit a curb with my tire turned. Well i got hte car towed home got a new tire for it and put it on, the tires were not alligned. I took it to an alligment shop and they found that my sub frame was bent because my lower control arm pushed it back. So now here's the question? get a new 3g? or fix it? or junk it?

Jims 86LXI HB
02-10-2003, 11:43 AM
I bent my front sub frame when I got in my accident in july, I could not see the point of trying to fix it. I've heard of to many horror stories of the car never being right again and never being able to get the alignment straight againl. But how know's, maybe your's isn't as messed up as mine was. On my car the entire strut tower and suspension mounting point's were pushed back at least 3/4 inch.

carotman
02-10-2003, 11:56 AM
My subframe is bent but it's where the lower arm mounts on the body, it's only slightly bent and can be corrected with a little alignment. This part can be replaced without problem tough. I don't know about yours. If it's the upper part, you're a bit screwed and need the car to be straightened up again.

Immeraufdemhund
02-10-2003, 01:55 PM
yah that's what i'm finding out. I found out that i dont quiet have enough for the 89 4dr that i've been eyeballing for a little bit now. He made the deal a bit better by fixing the water pump and the radiator. He said that he replaced the brakes but i went and looked at the pads and they didn't look so new. It's a sweet car, but 600 out of my price range (drats) So now my car is over at a place that has a frame machine. It only moved like 1/2 inch and it's were the lower control arm meets the frame. It buckled that thing in a little bit... Looks like i'm still going to keep that car alive. I've spent way to much on this car, but yet i want to spend more. I think it wouldn't be so bad if i would be spending the money to fix it up instead of fixing it. hehe. oh well. :rolleyes:

johndej
02-10-2003, 02:26 PM
i think i'll add this on here cause it may be subframe. ok, we got about 5in of snow here in the past 2 days and i was driving to my friends house. well, i hit an area where snow covered the whole road (only doing about 20). well, i started to slide so i hit the brakes and slid onto the part where the snow had melted and it was just pavement. i think my wheels were turned some cause i had been sliding into the other lane and when i hit the uncovered pavement i caught traction and the car jerked strait back into the right lane. i drove the rest of the way there w/out anything diff, but when i got out and looked at the car it seemed that the front right wheel was sitting a little further back in the wheel well than the left (but they were both facing strait and all). any idea on if i did any damage w/ that? or what kind it would be?

Immeraufdemhund
02-13-2003, 03:39 PM
well i'd measure the distance to both tire wells. If it's different jack up your car and measure again. If it's still different look all over there very carefully for anything twisted anything that doesn't look right. One little thing is to look for paint that is coming up on the steel pieces......My car is still in the shop. First they told me tue, now they are telling me friday. I'll just go after work and get it, man i'll be busy tommorow.

meohmy01
02-13-2003, 03:54 PM
i bought my car with a reconstructed title. its 94 accord lx coupe. i never had it aligned but when you take your hand off the wheel you could changer lanes. the airbags did go off. it was hit on the front passenger and pulls to the left. could this just need an alignment?

Immeraufdemhund
02-14-2003, 08:48 AM
well it might need more than just an alligment, bring it to the shop when no one is around so you can look under their too with the people. Most the time when your with them they will be a little bit more honest.

AccordEpicenter
02-14-2003, 10:11 PM
i think youd have to take measurements to see how badly the components are off, if theyre close you might be able to get away with an alignment, if not you might need to shim stuff or get it straightend

Sean
02-14-2003, 10:30 PM
if the subframe is bent go get a new one and bolt it in. not hard to do. take alot of elbow grease etc but can be done in a weekend with tools. and once there buckeld toss them. however dont confuse subframe with substrutcue. if the substructure is bent it depends on where and how bad. thats getting into unifbody. were talking about a bolt on part. big difference.

meohmy01
02-15-2003, 08:44 AM
i have no idea. i know my front and doesn't quite line up. but it is really close. and i can do 110 before i get the slightest vibration from the front end.