PDA

View Full Version : Noise from Summer Tires 75km/hr to 100km/hr

tom1980
05-08-2017, 04:31 PM
Hello,
I've recently swapped my winter tires to summer tires. I've noticed the noise coming from the tires between 75km/hr and 100km/hr. I had all the tires re-balanced. This problem did not happen with winter tires. Any ideas would be much appreciated.
Thank you,

Tom

Dr_Snooz
05-08-2017, 08:07 PM
How old are the tires?

2oodoor
05-09-2017, 02:42 PM
Have toe alignment checked, inspect tires for dry rot and tread separation

tom1980
05-11-2017, 04:20 PM
How old are the tires?
3 old tires(3 years old but very low km ran on them) and 1 brand new
Thanks,

Tom

tom1980
05-11-2017, 04:22 PM
Have toe alignment checked, inspect tires for dry rot and tread separation
The alignment was checked, all the tires are in very good condition.
Thanks,

Tom

tom1980
05-11-2017, 04:23 PM
It seems the noise is less when the car is at high speed(>110km/hr)

Dr_Snooz
05-12-2017, 03:57 PM
Some tires just make noise. If there is a strange wear pattern, like fish-scaling or cupping, they will make more. Older tires are worse. You can try rotating them to see if that helps. There are also (or at least there used to be) shops that will remove abnormal wear patterns. If you've been putting off that alignment job, or replacing bad struts, or fixing your worn-out bushings, now's the time.

I'm very particular about tires. I won't buy Bridgestones because I had a set that made horrible road noise, constantly. They also created so much rolling resistance that my MPG dropped by about 20% and my torque converter stopped locking up. I took the car to a couple different shops, but no one could diagnose the problem. When I replaced those dreadful tires, my MPG returned to normal and the TC magically fixed itself. The last time I was at a shop, I noticed Bridgestone advertising some new tires as being low rolling resistance. They call them "Ecopia" and expect me to believe they aren't making dreadful tires anymore. I'm not falling for it. I won't buy Pirellis because I had a set that refused to stay balanced. I had them balanced regularly and within 1,000 miles, they would be wobbling again. I won't buy Firestones because they kill people. Michelins weather crack almost instantly (though in every other way, they are a vastly superior tire) and Falkens wear out within 20,000 miles. I'm rolling a couple sets of BF Goodrich right now, which I like. I've also had good luck with Rikens.

Good luck with your issue.

tom1980
05-15-2017, 01:15 PM
Some tires just make noise. If there is a strange wear pattern, like fish-scaling or cupping, they will make more. Older tires are worse. You can try rotating them to see if that helps. There are also (or at least there used to be) shops that will remove abnormal wear patterns. If you've been putting off that alignment job, or replacing bad struts, or fixing your worn-out bushings, now's the time.

I'm very particular about tires. I won't buy Bridgestones because I had a set that made horrible road noise, constantly. They also created so much rolling resistance that my MPG dropped by about 20% and my torque converter stopped locking up. I took the car to a couple different shops, but no one could diagnose the problem. When I replaced those dreadful tires, my MPG returned to normal and the TC magically fixed itself. The last time I was at a shop, I noticed Bridgestone advertising some new tires as being low rolling resistance. They call them "Ecopia" and expect me to believe they aren't making dreadful tires anymore. I'm not falling for it. I won't buy Pirellis because I had a set that refused to stay balanced. I had them balanced regularly and within 1,000 miles, they would be wobbling again. I won't buy Firestones because they kill people. Michelins weather crack almost instantly (though in every other way, they are a vastly superior tire) and Falkens wear out within 20,000 miles. I'm rolling a couple sets of BF Goodrich right now, which I like. I've also had good luck with Rikens.

Good luck with your issue.

Thank you Dr_Snooz