PDA

View Full Version : Weird whistling sound when in 5th gear.

Chrome_thangs
02-10-2003, 01:17 PM
I was riding on the highway just now and whenever i have it in 5th gear i hear a whistle. Only in 5th gear i hear it, and if i let off the gas momentarily it stops until i push the gas again. What the hell is the problem?

Immeraufdemhund
02-10-2003, 02:09 PM
does it sound like a never ending cricket? Mine does that now all the time when i put on a CAI

dXsquared
02-10-2003, 02:17 PM
that criket is a vacuum leak... i think you have low oil in the tranny...

Travis

AZmike
02-10-2003, 02:27 PM
I have the exactly same sound at lower speeds in 5th (maybe I just can't hear it when I'm going over 60). I am certain that my tranny is filled correctly with oil (fresh 10W-40). The noise isn't necessarily a result of a low fluid level.

Chrome_thangs
02-10-2003, 03:13 PM
No, not like a cricket.

bobafett
02-10-2003, 03:21 PM
woo woo... the whistles go woo

change that tranny fluid TODAY unless you want to buy a new one!

Chrome_thangs
02-10-2003, 05:26 PM
:lol ya, it kinda sounds like thoose whistles.

How? I've never done it before and i assumed they changed it when they put on my clutch, guess not! Could someone help w/ this procedure?

Immeraufdemhund
02-13-2003, 03:36 PM
Jack up the passanger side, get you a 3/8 extension and a ratchet. find your tranny then find the only skrew that you can put the 3/8 extension into it (i think it's 3/8 it might be 1/2) anywho, just open that bugger up. Lower your car then raise the drivers side. Lower it when it's done draining, then put the oil in untill it starts coming out, put back on that bolt....i tink that's wha tyou ahve to do.

AZmike
02-13-2003, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by Chrome_thangs
:lol ya, it kinda sounds like thoose whistles.

How? I've never done it before and i assumed they changed it when they put on my clutch, guess not! Could someone help w/ this procedure?

They should have done it when the changed the clutch if they followed the regular proceedures. I still don't think that changing the fluid will solve the sound problem, but it definitely won't hurt. If you really want to go all out, get Honda MTF from the dealer for $5/quart. It should work a little better than motor oil (10w-40 for warm climates, 10w-30 for colder climates).

Don't drain the tranny until you have the fill bolt (behind the axle) loose. Expect about to use about 2.5 quarts.

Sean
02-14-2003, 06:58 AM
nope its gonna need a 5th gear assembly. the good news is if you replace the gears now youll skip having to buy a scynronizer etc later. im gonna take a guess but youve got about 180,000 mile or so now right ?? if so just goto the dealer or someother place and have them replace only the gears for fith not the synchronizer etc. itll be ok just get it before it gets bad.

AZmike
02-16-2003, 01:21 PM
Is the damage to the 5th gears typically visible, or does it only take a small (invisible) amount of wear to cause the noise? Are the needle bearings part of the '5th gear assembly' that you mention?

Chrome_thangs
02-16-2003, 03:28 PM
I have scheduled an appointment for tomorrow to have the dealer do it. I tried but the bolt is not moving! Anyway the whistling stopped before i changed the tranny fluid. I'm still gonna go get it done though, only cost $39.95

AZmike
02-16-2003, 03:36 PM
Let us know how it turns out. That seems way too cheap.

AZmike
02-21-2003, 08:28 PM
Any news?

Chrome_thangs
02-21-2003, 09:20 PM
Ya , went and got it drained and refilled. They tried to say i would need it flushed but that's only for auto tranny. Anyway it doesn't go woo woo any more in 5th gear! Shifts alot smoother too. Only draw back was they stripped the fill bolt and then put it back in! They claimed they did not have any in stock.

1988starter
02-22-2003, 07:22 AM
I know all about srtipped tranny bolts I used a small pipewrench to remove it the just slapped a newone on their and I noticed that those fill bolts are a pain in the ass to remove when the engine has been running for a bit.

AZmike
02-22-2003, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by Chrome_thangs
Ya , went and got it drained and refilled. They tried to say i would need it flushed but that's only for auto tranny. Anyway it doesn't go woo woo any more in 5th gear! Shifts alot smoother too. Only draw back was they stripped the fill bolt and then put it back in! They claimed they did not have any in stock.

So the only change was dumping the old fluid and getting Honda MTF? My tranny has fresh engine oil and makes the noise. Maybe all I need to do is switch to Honda fluid.

Chrome_thangs
02-22-2003, 03:35 PM
ya, that's all they did!

jlaccord89lxi
02-23-2003, 03:43 PM
both of the 3rd gens i've owned have made that sound in fifth gear. It never hurt my old car, and its not hurting the one i have now. Changeing the tranny fluid won't do anything cause mine was just done when i got a new clutch and it still whistles. I'd say its pretty harmless, but it is also a sign of fifth gear wearing out which was a problem on 5speed 3rd gens.