PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have there timming belt break?

dhcarss
02-10-2003, 01:26 PM
My timming belt tensioner pully seems to have locked up, and broke my timming belt, what I want to know is are these motors interference motors, meaning do the valves hit the pistons when the belt breaks. Just towed it home this morning at 9am. all I had time to do is see the melted belt.

2old_honda
02-10-2003, 01:38 PM
yes they are interference engines.

dhcarss
02-10-2003, 01:51 PM
Well shit.:tongue:

Jareds 89 LX-i
02-10-2003, 02:21 PM
Don't jump to assumptions just yet...they are interference but that doesn't necessarily mean that engine damage occured. Nates t-belt just broke not long ago, but it didn't do any engine damage. Seems alot of other peeps that had t-belt break didn't hve any damage either. Just depends on where it was when it broke

89AccordNate
02-10-2003, 03:37 PM
They say that they are interference engines..but its debatable on whether your valves will be bent or not.

I went to the honda dealership here..

They replaced the timing belt, water pump, all of the belts, the valve cover gasket, pcv valve and 2 other smaller gaskets..the total bill was $360.00. Labor came out to $175.00.

I had no bent valves and no other problems...so now you know what to suspect when it comes to pricing.. The job is an absolute bitch, I wouldnt do it...and its well worth it to let the experts do it.

Nate.

dhcarss
02-10-2003, 04:55 PM
Well Im going to do it my self, have already done it once, I just wasnt sure if I should jus go ahead and pull the motor and put the other one in or not. I will just have to try a new one and hope for the best:D thanks alot for all the info. :super:

njpeter
02-10-2003, 04:58 PM
especially when it's snowing and below freezing..and you are not sure if the valves got twinged. I had my belt break at 170k miles at highway crusin speed...and the engine survived..I even cranked it once after I coasted over to the side.

DBMaster
02-10-2003, 08:44 PM
It is comforting to hear about the possibility of having no engine damage with a busted belt. It all depends upon how quickly the engine stops spinning when the belt breaks. Sometimes they just loose a few teeth - that can actually be worse. For the money, it is definitely worth replacing the belt to see if the thing will run afterward.

I can't prove this, but I suspect that even if you get a little valve smacking after a belt break that the engine might run OK for a log time after the trauma. Maybe someone here could corroborate that?

Mantis88LX
02-10-2003, 09:03 PM
my belt broke while idling and the engine survived.

MrBen
02-10-2003, 09:20 PM
My belt didn't break and my engine's fine :)

ELM'sLX+CHL'sDX
02-11-2003, 01:34 PM
There's an awful lot of Timing Belt failures here. Are you guys replacing them at 90K as is suggested by Honda?

Also, every time you replace the timing belt, you should replace the tensioner. It's an expensive part around $30-$40 but it is well worth it. I've replaced two timing belts on my Honda and each time, the old tensioner was clicking.

Be safe & replace the tensioner as well. It's right there so their shouldn't be any additional charges.

Claude

pric
02-11-2003, 02:48 PM
Screw it! Don't even bother with it and go ahead and do the H22 swap. Hehehe.

Coitis1
02-11-2003, 03:55 PM
i'm takin my car to the shop on monday, and when i called ahead i asked them if they could take a look at my t-belt, but they said there is no way to actually check a timing belt. i don't know shizzy, but is this true? theres no way to check if the belt is worn?

Einstein
02-11-2003, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by ELM'sLX+CHL'sDX

Also, every time you replace the timing belt, you should replace the tensioner.
Claude

Thanks Claude!

What else should be changed at the same time?

I'm thinking:
Water Pump,
Other Accessory Belts,
and now the Tensioner.

BlueSpecV03
02-11-2003, 08:39 PM
My 89 Accords T-belt broke while I was racing an Eclipse. No engine damage at all. Maybe it was the fact that the car was auto and the engine just shut down when it snapped?

I have no idea, maybe it was an act of God.

AccordEpicenter
02-11-2003, 08:46 PM
Usually to tell if the belt is going grossly bad itll have cracks on the back of it or if its been exposed to oil or somthing itll be soft. Other than that I havent heard any other way to tell if the belt is gonna go bad.