PDA

View Full Version : understanding painting

89accord_lxi_coupe
02-10-2003, 03:04 PM
i always hear about these great paint jobs that guys get. then in that you hear how many pearls were in the paint. what are pearls? is it to adjust the color? i've been wondering this a while. a guy at my old college painted his car with like 7 different pearls and it came out gold. what do pearls change. then you get into flakes. those would be what gives the paint a metallic look correct? i appreciate any answers.

pmip
02-10-2003, 03:49 PM
The flakes are metallic flakes that give it that metallic look. Pearls can be two differant things. Pearl paintjobs from the factory usually have mica particles blended in with the paint (known as pearlescent). The other kind has the base color coat, then a translucent pearl layer (in a particular color) which are known as true pearl paint jobs or pearl tri-coats. That is what everyone is probably referring to. The main reason pearl paints are used is to alter the reflected light so that differant colors show up at differant viewing angles.

pearldrop
02-10-2003, 04:20 PM
Pmip is exactly right. For the most part, pearls won't show up until the sun or direct light hits them. For example my car looked white most of the time, but when you walk by it you would see purple areas offset by a yellowish tint (which the pearl causes too)
http://www.89accord.com/special/pearl6.jpg

NOAHS88accord
02-10-2003, 04:59 PM
hey Pearl,

How much did that paint job cost you? how much would a Metallic Black Pear Cherry (i think thats the right one) cost me?

pearldrop
02-10-2003, 06:55 PM
The cost all depends on how far you want to go. You can get a very good quality paint job for $2000. To go the extra mile, it can get expensive really quick.

I paid almost $4000 for mine but that included a lot of bodywork and new bumpers and moldings.

88 Accord DX
02-10-2003, 08:20 PM
dude i neve noticed your car had that paint job Pearl. that is tight.

NOAHS88accord
02-10-2003, 08:32 PM
I am doing all the body work/prep work myself, and all i will need is someone to paint it. I want to do the prep work myself that way i know it was quality work, and also i want to paint it but dont know how so i will leave that to the paint pros. thanks for the info pearl.