PDA

View Full Version : power steering (ps) leak repair question

derolph
05-17-2017, 07:31 AM
My '88 Accord LX-i recently developed a bad leak on the passenger side. Just yesterday, I checked fluids (brake and ps) and my ps reservoir was low. I put the front end on ramps and got under the car to inspect and found a torn boot on the steering rack. Otherwise, I have not noticed any unusual ps behavior. Just wondering whether any of you gurus agree that this problem can most likely be fixed by replacing that boot (also called a bellow, according to 1988 HONDA ACCORD 2.0L L4 Motor Mount | RockAuto (http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/honda,1988,accord,2.0l+l4,1166914,engine,motor+mou nt,5552) ). In other words, I hope the entire rack does not need to be replaced.

derolph
05-17-2017, 08:51 AM
I just discussed this with a technician at a local repair shop and I learned that I had some misconceptions. The line/hose connected to the boot is not a fluid line, it's a air pressure equalization line connecting to the boots on both ends. In other words, if one boot is being compressed by turning the wheels, the air pressure inside it would increase. And, apparently, the boot on opposite end of the rack would be extended, decreasing air pressure in side it. So, the hose merely allows equalization of air pressure inside the boots.

So then, the leaking indicates a seal on the end of rack is leaking and the rack needs replacing to solve this problem. This is bad news. The labor time for this will make it an expensive repair, based on what the tech said about labor time (about 4 hours) and I think I will not tackle this myself. If I could raise the car on a hydraulic lift and stand under the car to work, then I could see doing it, but I don't have that option.

derolph
05-17-2017, 11:55 AM
Some of you have probably done this job. Does a time of about 4 hours seem normal for a professional technician? I think the time to do this job is somewhat dependent on the amount of removal of other components required before removing the steering rack. Based on this youtube video by Scotty Kilmer, at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWR9JtFSULE, it sure does not appear to be a 4 hour job.

Edit: A better video, by EricTheGarGuy, doing a 1999 Civic Power Steering Rack Replacement, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDhnrS1Y96w. I suspect Scotty Kilmer makes it look a lot easier than it is.

Dr_Snooz
05-17-2017, 04:00 PM
Basically what happens is this:

1. Someone puts the wrong fluid in the system.
2. The seal fails and the boot fills with fluid.
3. The boot ruptures and you discover a leak.
4. You replace the boot, thinking that will fix the leak, trying hard to ignore all the fluid that's all over everything.
5. The new boot fails shortly thereafter and you admit the full extent of the problem.

That was my route, at least.

The labor time quoted is not unreasonable at all. It's a big repair, and very messy if you do it yourself.

You aren't without other options, though. You can simply disconnect the PS belt and go sans power-assist. Some guys really dig it, though I'm not much of a fan. Should you go this route, search around for threads on gutting or looping the rack so you aren't fighting a lot of residual fluid when you turn.

Alternatively, you can now fill the system with the wrong fluid freely. Sometimes, using the wrong fluid will cause the seals to swell and diminish or eliminate the leak. Of course, it could just as easily make it worse, so yeah. Good luck with that.

InAccordance
05-18-2017, 09:50 PM
Just had this replaced recently.. had the same problem you described.
I would make left turns and fluid literally poured out of the rack... I left streaks everywhere I went =P
Cost me 260$ in labor, I supplied the rack.
Rockauto has the racks for a good price fyi.

derolph
08-13-2017, 09:59 AM
An update on this issue. I purchased a steering rack and was thinking I would have a repair shop install it. But, I decided to add power steering fluid and drive it short distances and observe it for awhile. To my surprise, the leaking has stopped. I have driven over 150 miles in the two days and the fluid level in the reservoir has remained constant, and leaking on pavement while parked has not occurred. This improvement has been a gradual process. The power steering fluid I have added since the major leaking began, which resulted in me initiating this forum topic, is AutoZone's (i.e. their brand) power steering fluid for Honda vehicles (http://www.autozone.com/brake-and-power-steering-fluid-additives/power-steering-fluid-and-additive/autozone-honda-power-steering-fluid/84948_0_0).

I'll continue to closely monitor the power steering fluid level to be sure the leaking does not resume. The reason for the stopping of the leaking can only be guessed by me. But, I am inclined to think the new power steering fluid is the reason. I am still wondering why the sudden increase in leaking started on May 16, the day after I took my car to a repair shop for some front end brake work; the last thing the technician did was go for a test drive. I'm wondering whether the sudden heavy leaking the next day was purely coincidental or possibly somehow triggered by the visit to the repair shop.

Edit: During this period of observation and cessation of leaking, I added almost two 12 fl. oz. canisters of the AutoZone power steering fluid.

@ InAccordance: I think you got a good deal on labor. When I was anticipating taking the car to a shop to install the new steering rack, one shop quoted $300 for labor, another quoted $320. Both were based on 4 hours labor.

Shane86
08-14-2017, 07:06 PM
I have had the worst luck with rack and pinion remanufactured. It's a tough job I've had to do it about 4 times jack stands. But yeah the Little Boots keep the dirt out. It's the dam seals on one side or the other they blow out all of a sudden like a volcano and make hell of a mess. But the remanufactured rack and pinions are junk you'll be lucky to get 3 years out of them using Honda fluid. But it is what it is and I like my power steering

Oldblueaccord
08-14-2017, 11:05 PM
Yeah I just keep milking my steering rack and praying it still holds up.

Shane86
08-15-2017, 12:48 AM
Yeah I just keep milking my steering rack and praying it still holds up.

Yes sir the OEM racks are great they last 15-20 years without any problems. I've been looking in to getting one of those rebuild kits and just try to rebuild mine. Haven't seen too much information on here about people trying to rebuild them

derolph
08-15-2017, 08:20 AM
The steering rack on my car is the original. The non-leaking status has continued. I purchased a rack & pinion, i.e. steering rack, from AutoZone on May 18 when I was anticipating replacement of the original. But now, since the leaking has stopped, I think I'm going to return steering rack to AutoZone and get my money back; the return period ends soon in 3 days, so I can't delay in making this decision. If I need the leaking problem returns, I can purchase a new rack at that time; if that happens, I might buy from RockAuto.com.

gp02a0083
08-15-2017, 09:30 AM
i would return that rack to shitzone, we have had too many problems with reman's from that place. iirc we had one or two racks that were rebuilt 180 out.

Rockauto as mentioned has decent deals on racks. The last rack i got from them was a new AcDelco, flushed the system and new Honda PS fluid. so far 4-5 years and nothing catastrophic, altho the winter time it seems to hang up a bit. might chuck that up to some water in the fluid or the PS fluid's viscosity changing that much but i doubt it.

replacing the rack isnt exactly a very difficult job, its just a pain in the ass. It can be replaced without using a lift, but give yourself plenty of room. IIrc i had to knock the rack all the way to the passenger side to remove and reinstall the new one. not sure if that is inherent to the auto trans cars ( btw the selector cable needs to be dropped )

as far as the philosophy of replacing seals vs replacing the whole rack, I was always told by my father ( was a mechanic for 30+years) to just replace the rack rather than replace the seals. i think if you are going to replace the end seals you might as well rebuild the whole thing.

AC439
08-15-2017, 01:16 PM
Just happen that I am also thinking about replacing the entire rack due to bad leak. Just went to rockauto but they only listed reman. No AC-Delco or new stuffs. Are those any good ? I have a 86 LXI.

Also, I have worn out CV boots and thinking about replacing the drive axles as well. So doing both jobs together probably will be a good idea to save time?

Shane86
08-15-2017, 05:52 PM
Just happen that I am also thinking about replacing the entire rack due to bad leak. Just went to rockauto but they only listed reman. No AC-Delco or new stuffs. Are those any good ? I have a 86 LXI.

Also, I have worn out CV boots and thinking about replacing the drive axles as well. So doing both jobs together probably will be a good idea to save time?

If that's the Advance Auto Parts brand one no don't do it

AC439
08-16-2017, 02:26 AM
If that's the Advance Auto Parts brand one no don't do it

In rockauto, they listed - BBB/Vision-OE; A1-Cardone; ATSCO and AAE. I know Cardone is not a good brand but don't know about the others.

InAccordance
08-23-2017, 07:35 PM
I went with the Cardone one and it's doing just fine. Only issue I had with it is the idiot who installed it didn't get all the air out of it so there is still some in there. Steering power is good just can be jittery.
Side note... how do you do a complete fluid flush or should I just take it somewhere and have it done? lol

JJ'sAccord
08-24-2017, 02:24 PM
i did the steering rack replacement in the middle of winter. wasnt a bad job. just wished i had waited until it was a little warmer. I went with a masterpro reman rack from oreillys so far so good. just difficult to get the main supply connection to stop leaking. I would def do the job my self honestly. the repair manual give you step by step. only hickup i had was like Gpa said. i had to completely turn my wheels to one side in order to get the rack in and out. this proved problematic when i went to instal since the reman rack came dead center. my steering wheel was way off after that job. all and all it wasnt all that bad. but then again it has been about a year since ive replaced it... had you asked me 2 days after the job id say pay someone haha

gp02a0083
08-25-2017, 04:43 AM
IIrc even the FSM has you remove the return line to the bucket and keep feeding it fresh PS fluid.