PDA

View Full Version : How the hell do i open my hood without using the hood release cable?!?!

Chrome_thangs
02-10-2003, 05:45 PM
Ok i just put on a new hood and at first it wouldn't stay shut. i took off the catch in front of the radiator and bent it back in place. The hood closes perfectly now. Just can't open it now! The hood release is not working at all. THere's a lot of slack in the cable too. I tried to use pliers and pull the cable put of course it didn't work. How do i open my hood to look at the catch and cable.

Mike's89AccordLX
02-10-2003, 06:07 PM
Damn dude that sucks! Crowbar? Could cut into the hood and then open it and weld the piece back on. That might be too much work though.

BLck89accord
02-10-2003, 07:41 PM
i had that problem at a junk yard. A little different tho.....the hood was shut, and the cable had snapped. The only resort was a crowbar and breaking the hood latch, but that was just being carless and whatnot at a junkyard, only to find out that the bitch didn't have an engine, but thats beside the point;)

AccordEpicenter
02-10-2003, 08:17 PM
whoa whoa whoa, dont need to break anything peeps. Try this, remove the front bumper, then remove the trim piece on the hood (bunch of 10mm bolts hold it on) and youll have more than enough room to get at the latch and cable assembly. Ive gotten the hood to open on 3 different cars when the cable was broken. Beats the hell out of ruining hoods and latches...

Chrome_thangs
02-10-2003, 09:04 PM
Thanks AccordEpicenter,
Really didn't want to destroy my new hood! I'll try that in the morning!

anchovies
02-10-2003, 11:08 PM
Try pulling up on the hood first after pulling on the cable.

AZmike
02-10-2003, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by anchovies
Try pulling up on the hood first after pulling on the cable.

Mine used to stick and that was all it took for me to: pull release, pull hood, then pull release again and I could open it.

EDIT: since then I put some multipurpose grease on the latch/spring and it hasn't stuck since.

Chrome_thangs
02-10-2003, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by 89LXi4dr
Mine used to stick and that was all it took for me to: pull release, pull hood, then pull release again and I could open it.
Ya, mine used to be like that. Before the new hood, and me bending the catch back out.

1987HondaAccord
02-11-2003, 02:33 PM
i have a friend that has a similar problem. He has to pull the lever and then thump the hood a few times and it pops up!!
Good Luck

Chrome_thangs
02-11-2003, 02:44 PM
ok,
Woke up this morning and finally got the hood open! The part of the cable that connects to the catch had come off some how. I put it back in it's grove and now it works fine.
Big ups to AccordEpicenter for the help!

AccordEpicenter
02-11-2003, 04:13 PM
I had the same thing happen to me 4 days ago. When the cable falls out of the holder all the pulling on the cable in the world wont release the hood, you have to get to the latch and pull it manually. Your welcome...

dosh8er
02-11-2003, 07:38 PM
one word.. err.. no .. one smiley:

:flame:

Solves ALL yer problems