PDA

View Full Version : Electrical gremlin killing fuel pumps?

InAccordance
05-18-2017, 10:04 PM
So I have this funky electrical thing going on where the Oil pressure and seat belt lights will flash, stay lit, or brighten then dim and so on. When this happens the door dinger will go off as well and sometimes the little bell chime thing will start up too.
It's fairly random, sometimes right as you start it, sometimes while driving, and even sometimes while vehicle is shut off, and then sometimes it wont happen for weeks at all.
Just this week I had a fuel pump die on me. I had just replaced the pump 2 months ago. Now I understand you can get a bad pump from the parts store, but that was the 3rd one... current one is 4th now.

aka, 1: what was in car when I got it 2: original died, replaced it 3: that replacement died after 3 months 4: pump I just put in yesterday.

So the current hypothesis is that there is something going on that is causing the pump to come on when the car isnt running causing it to burn up. Leading evidence here is that when you prime it right before starting, it doesnt stop after a few seconds, just keeps running. Leading evidence against this is that the weber isnt being flooded with gas.

When the 3rd pump died the other night, I started the car and everything was fine. literally a minute later, car flat died and everything electrical died with it. Acted like the battery was straight dead. Swapped the battery out of the wench's car and got it running but once the carb bowl was dry, she was done for. Replaced the pump, hooked original battery back up and it cranked just fine. I never charged the original battery.

Right now, I am unhooking the battery when not in use for long periods such as over night or when at work just to be safe.

Anyone had anything like this happen before?

Oh, and to make the week even better, the wench's accord blew one of the metal brake lines that runs to the rear brakes. yay rust! fml...

Dr_Snooz
05-19-2017, 06:43 PM
Usually when you have a bunch of weird electrical stuff happening, you have a ground problem. In your case, you might also have a fuel pump relay or fuel pressure regulator issue too.

2oodoor
05-20-2017, 03:31 PM
Confirm the wiring going to alternator isnt shorting somewhere, chk the alt diode and measure voltage charging. If the power center fuse & relay gets short spikes it can make relays reverse direction of current and do exactly this. May want to replace the connector at the pump too.

InAccordance
05-24-2017, 12:14 AM
So it was confirmed that I am getting random spikes in power when the vehicle is shut off.
Was out replacing the master cylinder (yay!) and had the wench pumping brakes to bleed everything, she asked me what that noise was. Went over and sure enough, there was high pitched squeal coming from somewhere.
Wasn't the door bell dinger but more of a high pitched static noise. Key wasn't even in the ignition.
Mind you, the radio is completely diconnected, there isnt even a fuse hooked up so it couldn't be because of that.

This is driving me nuts, lol

Side note about pressure regulators. I put one on the first accord I had when I did the weber conversion and it wouldn't run at all even messing with the setting on the regulator. Took it off and she ran perfect. That one never burned out a fuel pump even running it without a regulator. Not to discredit your suggestion, trust me I appreciate the response.

Mostly worried I am going to end up having to hunt down each system one by one.

Oldblueaccord
05-25-2017, 10:10 AM
Look for seat belt retractors staying on and stuff like that.

Headlight doors can come on too.

There is a load someplace you'll have to find. Pulling one fuse at a time might be your only option.

InAccordance
05-29-2017, 12:09 AM
hm, I'll check out the seatbelts and such.
Just so frustrating cause it's so random... on the way home from work... didn't happen at all but had done it on the way to work earlier in the day.