PDA

View Full Version : need some info please!!!

SiCReX
02-10-2003, 11:21 PM
ok guys i am not sure what to do. for several months now my shocks have been SHOT i really dont care too much though but im tired of the front end dropping 10 feet in between shifting and i need some advice. here's the deal, I would really like at least a 2" drop, adjustable is cool too. I dont know if I should just get some coilovers or some shocks that will give me a nice 2 inch drop. I dont really care so much about comfort, if I did I would save my pennines for a BMW. I mostly just want the drop but I dont know whether to get some shocks or just go with the coilovers. I dont really wanna spend too much of my money that I could spend on my engine either. what should I do????

Jims 86LXI HB
02-11-2003, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by SiCReX
ok guys i am not sure what to do. for several months now my shocks have been SHOT i really dont care too much though but im tired of the front end dropping 10 feet in between shifting and i need some advice. here's the deal, I would really like at least a 2" drop, adjustable is cool too. I dont know if I should just get some coilovers or some shocks that will give me a nice 2 inch drop. I dont really care so much about comfort, if I did I would save my pennines for a BMW. I mostly just want the drop but I dont know whether to get some shocks or just go with the coilovers. I dont really wanna spend too much of my money that I could spend on my engine either. what should I do????

If you want to maintain a quality ride level, no matter how you lower your car, you'll want stiffer struts, with coilovers or springs. If you don't care how far away you take the ride quality away from stock, don't worry about struts. The right struts make a huge differance, but if you don't care how it rides, it doesn't matter a bit. You need to ask your self if your willing to spend $428-$560 on your suspension.

Let me draw distinction between comfort (soft lowering springs), going stiffer for performance sake and comfort cause you want the ride to be decent, as in ride quality like HONDA LOWERED YOUR CAR from the factory.

No matter what if you want your car to ride good for being lowered, consider Koni's a must, at the very least in the front of the car.

If you want comfort lowering the best you can do would be the softest lowering springs, which will mean a 1.5" drop with neuspeed springs. Nothing you can do about that, go lower and your not going to be in the comfort class anymore cause the springs are going to be stiffer. Run them with koni struts, and if you want you can save $93, by running tokico struts in the rear.

Ok, now I'll assume that a 1.5" drop won't do it for you. Then I'd go with suspension techniques speed tech 2" drop springs and again Koni struts (again you can run the tokico struts in the rear and save $93, but if it was my car I'd stick with the koni's in the rear to).

When done right, you may find yourself test drivng that bmw and saying, hmmm, my 3g felt better taking this corner. Don't laugh, your 3g is a better car than you think. But the most important thing is to end up with a lowered car that rides right, not like something that would get a factory suspension designer fired.

GreenMachine
02-11-2003, 01:01 AM
I wish i talked to you before i bought monroe's :(

Jims 86LXI HB
02-11-2003, 01:34 AM
Originally posted by GreenMachine
I wish i talked to you before i bought monroe's :(

Sorry to hear that, but yes their not the way to go on a lowered car.

SiCReX
02-18-2003, 12:18 AM
ok im gonna go with dropzone coilovers because they are the cheapest and im not going to waste all my money on suspension right now until im done with the engine. what did you say to use with these again, revalved what? I can't find what you said.

Jims 86LXI HB
02-18-2003, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by SiCReX
ok im gonna go with dropzone coilovers because they are the cheapest and im not going to waste all my money on suspension right now until im done with the engine. what did you say to use with these again, revalved what? I can't find what you said.

Waste, no it's not a waste, I hope your only doing things to the engine cause you have to, but if you don't have it and you don't care how it rides and bounces, and you can't wait to do it right well,...... Ya know, it's really a good car when the lowered suspension is done right. When you get the money or you get tired of the ride quality, you'll want either revalved Koni's or revalved Bilstiens.

When your ready, either pm me or do a post and I'll get you all the info to make it happen.

SiCReX
02-18-2003, 12:36 AM
aight cool, yeah i'll get some revalved koni's whenever I get the money and I'll give you a holla.