PDA

View Full Version : how to paint interior

netfreak
02-10-2003, 11:51 PM
OK my interior is coming out one piece at a time... For things like under the dash and the plastic around the door and center (over the ebrake, etc) what kind of paint is OK to use? I've got some black spraypaint so would that stuff be fine to use?

MrBen
02-11-2003, 01:13 PM
Go to Schucks and get the spray paint they have there. It's about 3 dollars. Make sure you get the primer also. Sand LIGHTLY with very fine fine fine grit sandpaper. And also make sure all pieces are spotless and clean. I did this and have had no problems with chipping. Looks great with Amor All on it also.

MrBen
02-11-2003, 01:14 PM
Wait, you're in Canada, you might not have Schucks there. Just go to an auto parts store and look for spray paint that says it is suitable for trim pieces like that in your car.

Mike's89AccordLX
02-11-2003, 01:26 PM
I think that Dupli-Color paint works good because I think it said for vinyl and other parts. It's like $3 a can too. And do prep the surface good b/c if you don't it will peel or chip off. 1000 and up sand paper is good. Hmm wetsanding always makes things looking good. And make sure it is clean and then primor and follow instructions perfectly and you will be happy with the result.

yaxley
02-11-2003, 01:35 PM
Canadian tire vinyl colour in the auto department it works great it dries to touch in ten mins. I am doing my dash right now too spray light coats let it dry and go again the more light coats the better. So far it works well and looks good in black with blue trim. It was like 7-8 bucks a can and you probably need 3 or more cans depending on the amount of coats. peace..

netfreak
02-11-2003, 07:46 PM
Cool I'll probably start with canadian tire on my day off. Basically the entire interior will be black. What about changing the carpet color and seats?

yaxley
02-12-2003, 10:08 AM
seats you can paint too but I would spend the cash and go get them done by a shop or go to wallmart and pick up a set of black seat covers they have some nice clean ones. I have a set of black and blue ones and I get tones of people asking where I got my seats done. Carpet try and find a black one I have made one with a buddy for his car but I dont think it was worth it. It was a pain and you need a steamer and tons of time.

yaxley
02-12-2003, 10:09 AM
sorry you might find that a 90 spec accord carpet might fit close enough.

Mike's89AccordLX
02-12-2003, 10:10 AM
Why would you need a steamer to do the carpet? I thought you could just use RIT dye and dye it.

yaxley
02-12-2003, 10:16 AM
yes you could dye it I dont know how big a project that would be because I have never done it. the steamer is so that you can mold the flat carpet you just bought in and over the curves of your car int. it heats up the under side of the carpet and when it sets it stays with the contours of the car

Mike's89AccordLX
02-12-2003, 10:19 AM
Ok I get it now. I thought you were talking about pre-moulded carpet. My bad. I never thought about doing the carpeting like that before. Hmm... Might have to get some Shag carpeting put in my interior and on the headliner too. :D That'd look like a Cheech and Chong car :D :bh:

yaxley
02-12-2003, 10:24 AM
ya it open up options if you have the time and patience.

Mike's89AccordLX
02-12-2003, 10:31 AM
I have patience just no time. I work a Full time job and a part time job. I lack time, right now. That's why my weber is still not tuned right.

yaxley
02-12-2003, 10:50 AM
I just dont have the patience there are other things to work on like the custom wide body I plan on making for my car this year.

Y3G
02-12-2003, 02:34 PM
for paint the best stuff for the softer plastic of the dash is FOLIA TEC interiorfilm paint. it is about $30can. a can but you only need one mabey two coats.It lasts and can stand up to chemicals.The carpet you are better off geting a new carpet i tried dying and it didnt work.It just made even more of a mess

89AccordLvr
02-12-2003, 03:41 PM
why would u wanna dye ur carpet go to http://www.1aauto.com/item.php?item_id=ACC1406&web_id=8149&category_id=15000&model_id=382&current_page=1 and u can get almost any color carpet u want pre-molded to fit our car for bout $120. Is this what u need or im i reading something that im not understandin