PDA

View Full Version : Major Carb Problems

RCracer
02-11-2003, 02:31 AM
It all started about 2 weeks ago.
I could start my car (b20a with stock carb for now) and it would go onto the choke then the choke would go off when it was warm all OK.
Then it started dieing out unless I floored it then it would pick up and rev. If I tried to run it on partial throttle it would splutter almost as if it was too rich. Anyway it has done that a few times and cured itself:werd: . Anyway it has started doing it more and more and now I have noticed that the accelerator pedal dont seem to come back fully when its being weird. Its not the pedal or the cable!!
Anyway I was going to look at a new car (not to replace the 3g, aswell as) and it did the spluttering thing on the motorway at 80 mph on full throttle it just about ran but partial throttle it died.
Anyway I banged the airbox lid a few times (it was raining etc) and it didnt cure it but made if better so it ran.
Then it cleared itself again.
I sprayed the carb with carb cleaner the next day and now the choke wont work properly and the car stalls all the time wen cold and is spluttering againb wen warm.
Any ideas????
It is really getting to me as I dont have time & dont really feel up to working on cars at the moment.
Getting a new carb (ie weber) is not a option at the moment as I need a car to move my dad around etc. and all my money is going to that.

A20A1
02-11-2003, 03:04 AM
I think the carb is a bit small for the motor to begin with so you are bound to have problems...
Check the float level on the carb while the car is running.
Other then that, you should start looking at the fuel filters or vacuum leaks or internal carb fuel leaks.

I know it may be a hastle but check the plugs. If they are all black then either its a overly rich mixture or the spark is bad because of a plug, wire, cap, or rotor... or even a loose engine ground wire.

shepherd79
02-11-2003, 04:08 AM
paul, i would say you may want to rebuild this carb or at least clean it very good.

RCracer
02-12-2003, 02:46 PM
I got the problem sorted out for now.
I got a second hand carb.
It runs perfect now (or as perfect as it ever will)

I will get round to putting a weber on it one day (when I have the time and the spare money)

shepherd79
02-12-2003, 03:30 PM
sounds like you fixed the problem for now.

A20A1
02-12-2003, 03:43 PM
Looks lik I have problems... I'm getting micro rust in my float bowl. Filler neck? I sure hope not. :(

VaLxBuilder
02-27-2003, 05:42 AM
Mine is showing the same symptoms as AERODECKUK's. It only does this when it is WET and cold out which leads me away from a clog due to trash in the fuel. It seems to me that the vacuum operated secondary is NOT opening, maybe sticking. Additionally, once I get it going, the rpms tend to hang when you back off to shift, say b/w 2500 - 3000 rpm. I know my car is a 2nd gen but the carbs are practically the same. Possible a thermovalve not opening or sticky, gummy secondary. I going pull the air filter off tonight to check it out. Any thoughts?

markmdz89hatch
02-27-2003, 08:37 AM
actually if your car only does that when it's rainy, or cold? out, I would be more inclined to blame moisture in the distributor. Maybe a cracked cap or bad cap gasket. As for the cold weather, I'm gonna want to say fuel filters b/c that's exactly what my car did in the extreme cold. I changed the fuel filters, and taadaa, much better idle.

Both fuel filters, and the cap & rotor might run you about 20-25 bux total, and it's not a bad idea to change them anyway if they have'nt been done in a while.

VaLxBuilder
02-27-2003, 09:08 AM
Thanks for reply and the suggestion. I often forget to consider other options, ya get started on thing, the carb - and forget to look at another (fire,fuel and air!). The filters, and cap are about 6mths old but it is cheap to replace and I know my filler neck is rusty. I'm going get it in the garage and check it over tonight.