PDA

View Full Version : PROBLEM: White smoke inside the car, RPM fluctuating

Nokia_2210
05-31-2017, 12:22 PM
So I was driving down a local road today, doing around 50 MPH, in 5th gear, when out of nowhere I noticed that my tachometer started acting up. The RPMs would randomly jump from 2k to 3.5k and back at modearate speed, as if I was hitting bumps and the RPM arrow wasn't secured. After about 5-10 seconds, I saw thick white smoke coming from under the center console (where the radio normally is). I immediatly pulled over, put blinkers on and got out of the car. The smoke was thick and white/pale gray, as if airbag deployed somewhere. The smoke was only present inside the car before I turned the engine off. After about 1-2 minutes, I opened up the hood, but there was no smell/smoke in the engine bay. Around 5 minutes after the incident, I turned the car on and drove to my destination, about 5 minutes away. Then half an hour later I took another 10 minute drive home. After the incident the car perfomed normaly. No smoke, no smell, no unusual noises. Initially I thought that either the clutch, transmission or fifth gear have died, but everything seems to work fine.

Right before the incident, I was accelerating and shifting through gears at around 4k RPM. When the smoke started coming, I was in 5th gear at around 2.5k RPM for about 15 seconds.
Smoke only appeared inside the car and seemed to come from under the area where the radio normally is.
The smoke smelled as if something was burning up, not sure what.
Initially I thought that either the clutch or tranny went.

Car is 1989 Honda Accord DX, Carbureted, 107k miles.
I need the car and use it as daily. I really don't have money or time as of now to take it to a shop, although I know I need to.

Any ideas what it could've been?

Shane86
05-31-2017, 05:18 PM
This is how I purchase my car 13 years ago the previous owners swore the radio burn up. Same kind of smoke cloud that you described. My car originally had a tape player swap the tape player for a CD player . After thinking about it for a couple years my AC never worked I almost thought it could have been the freon leaked out. But not sure I think freon has a smell. But check up under your car to make sure no oil hit your exhaust pipe and smoked off

Nokia_2210
05-31-2017, 07:01 PM
Thinking about it, I never had a radio since the previous owner took it out for whatever reason, he never told me. And my AC doesn't work either. Did your heater work?
Thanks for the reply by the way.

Shane86
05-31-2017, 07:30 PM
Yes the heater works great well it used to it went out a couple years ago

Nokia_2210
05-31-2017, 08:29 PM
I guess it could've been something electrical, but I'm still kind of confused why the tachometer started jumping around, and speedo, temp and fuel gauges were fine.
Nonetheless, thank you for your response!

Oldblueaccord
05-31-2017, 08:57 PM
I guess it could've been something electrical, but I'm still kind of confused why the tachometer started jumping around, and speedo, temp and fuel gauges were fine.
Nonetheless, thank you for your response!

My guess is its electrical. Give under the dash a good look.

I still would check all your fluids, oil ,water, brake and power steering fluid.

AWH
06-01-2017, 09:21 AM
I have had the same,tachometer jumping up and down randomly,little motor hickups at the same time.Would come and go.No smoke though.Replaced the ignition control unit and the problem was solved.Although this was a 1985 2 gen.Prelude.

Nokia_2210
06-01-2017, 01:26 PM
Thanks for replies everyone, I found the source of the problem.
A couple of wires that I installed for something have burned up, the insulation was gone, they melted together and must've shorted out.
They were connected to the fuse box, but luckily there is no major/permament damage to the car.