PDA

View Full Version : Efi conversion Transmission help

Scorpion88LX
02-11-2003, 08:02 AM
I am currently doing the efi conversion however my parts car came with an aut transmission, i want manual. If i get a new transmission what problems will i have. I heard that there are some wiring problams but no one has elaberated on these. the other question is can i use my transmission from my lx before i get a new lxi or teg transmission.

carotman
02-11-2003, 12:13 PM
Just check the How-to section. The transmission swap is all explained

smufguy
02-12-2003, 09:24 AM
the carb car u have, what kinda tranny does it have? auto or manual?

The efi car u got, what kinda tranny does it have? auto or manual?

Reason being, u dont have to swap out the engines for the conversion as you. But, if u got an auto and the parts car has a efi with manual. Just swap the whole engine and tranny to ur car. Also u know u need the wiring harness and the shiftter linkage from under the car off of the parts car to be transfered to your car.

Scorpion88LX
02-12-2003, 10:24 AM
Here is a little more for smuf: My lx is a manual but the parts car is auto. I am swaping the whole engine so that i can rebuild the engine first.
Then I am going to get a manual lxi trans. (sometime in the future). I am just asking is there a problem with just hooking up the manual in it's place.

This is what i got from the article: I need to take a 12v power source to the male end and a wire from the femal to the positive main reverse light. Right?

Also I have to "jump" the circuit that only allows the car to start in p or n. What does he mean by "jump?" Is it connect them or wire around them. ????

YK86
02-12-2003, 11:14 AM
No problems at all. You will need to get rid of the throttlecable going from the throttlebody to the auto tranny since you won't need it. As for wiring, when you swap the harnesses around, you'll notice the connectors for the reverse lights (connects tot he wires coming out of the 5 speed tranny) aren't on your auto EFI harness. So you have to run your own wires. You'll also see some extra wires around the center console. It's a two wire connector (I think it was black with white stripe). When the two wires aren't connected, the car think's it's not in P or N and won't turn over. So you have to either splice them together or stick a fuse in the connector (fits perfectly).

Scorpion88LX
02-12-2003, 11:22 AM
thanx i think i got it

btw how much would an auto trany sell for with like 175,000 miles on it.

smufguy
02-12-2003, 07:24 PM
good luck buddy. seems like a lot of people are doing the efi conversion lately man........ this is awsome.